gifting a fence to a neighbour

gifting a fence to a neighbour

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi all,

I've read countless threads where one party is gifting or has gifted a new fence to their neighbour.
I'm yet to read one where any good reason is offered as to why the party chose this option instead of erecting their own fence instead.

I'm sure there must be some significant factors making the 'gift' option more appealing to some.

Any offers?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: gifting a fence to a neighbour

Postby cobdale » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

hi mac wonder if it's because they want the fence that much,they are happy to pay for it,but don't want the neighbours to think they are trying to pull some kind of advantage ,,like claiming rights
cobdale

Postby COGGY » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Cobdale

Your idea is interesting. What advantage could there be in erecting a fence on a neighbour's land? Why not erect the fence on your own land? If a fence is erected on a neighbour's land this would presumably permit the neighbour to grow plants up the fence, hang things on the fence and generally use the fence (which does not belong to them) in any way they see fit. The neighbours living in the property when the fence is erected may move some time later, when the new neighbours would naturally presume that a fence on their land belongs to them. This can then lead to all kinds of problems and difficulty. Much safer surely to erect a fence on your own land. :)

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby cobdale » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi Cobdale

Your idea is interesting. What advantage could there be in erecting a fence on a neighbour's land? Why not erect the fence on your own land? If a fence is erected on a neighbour's land this would presumably permit the neighbour to grow plants up the fence, hang things on the fence and generally use the fence (which does not belong to them) in any way they see fit. The neighbours living in the property when the fence is erected may move some time later, when the new neighbours would naturally presume that a fence on their land belongs to them. This can then lead to all kinds of problems and difficulty. Much safer surely to erect a fence on your own land. :)

Kind regards
Coggy

hi coggy,your probably right,but people do gift fences,maybe they don't want two fences with a few inches of no mans land between them,or it's not their fence to begin with,maybe even a jointly owned fence to start with,I,m not saying they are right or wrong to do it ,it's not a thing I would do,but different folks ,differant strokes,I think Mac was just wondering why some one choose to go that way and personally having just erected a fence at a house I rent out ,it would ent bother me if the neighbours paint their side bright pink or what they attach to it ,as long as they don't take the lag by building off it or something heavy enough to cause damage
regards cobdale
cobdale

Re: gifting a fence to a neighbourz

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi cobdale,

When you recently erected your fence did it ever cross your mind to either:

1. put it a fence-width away from where your last fence stood - meaning it will be on your neighbour's land (and therefore it will be their fence)
OR
2. put it where your last fence stood - but gift the fence (and therefore the land) to the neighbour

I doubt it did.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Re: gifting a fence to a neighbourz

Postby cobdale » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi cobdale,

When you recently erected your fence did it ever cross your mind to either:

1. put it a fence-width away from where your last fence stood - meaning it will be on your neighbour's land (and therefore it will be their fence)
OR
2. put it where your last fence stood - but gift the fence (and therefore the land) to the neighbour

I doubt it did.

Kind regards, Mac

no mac I,m not wealthy enough to go around gifting fences(I owe too many drinks out) lol ,I just broke the old posts out ,concreted new ones in and erected the fence,I suppose strictly speaking the posts are on both our properties ,but it's a fence ,it's doing my job.
cobdale

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:37 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi all,

I've read countless threads where one party is gifting or has gifted a new fence to their neighbour.
I'm yet to read one where any good reason is offered as to why the party chose this option instead of erecting their own fence instead.

I'm sure there must be some significant factors making the 'gift' option more appealing to some.

Any offers?

Kind regards, Mac

Hi all,

No other offers?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi nothingtodowithme,

here's a very recent example (to which you've contributed):

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19261&hilit=Give+gift+fence+neighbour

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi nothingtodowithme,

I think you've missed the point of my thread.

I don't doubt folk agree to offer/accept a fence to/from their neighbour.

I just wanted some reasons why this would happen (as opposed to the more obvious and IMHO sensible alternative of erecting the new fence on the buyer's land).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Tonka » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Shortly after my neighbor moved in(about 3 years ago) he asked if I minded if he replaced our adjoining fence (which was a 6ft larch-lap and a bit tatty) which I replied no problem, so he got a contractor to erect a 6ft feather edge fence. Around 6 months later in reasonably moderate winds a post snapped, which he replaced.The neighbor has now let the house and in the high winds this Christmas 2 posts snapped and the lower arris rail broke, I propped up the fence temporary to save it damaging my plants. I then recently got a letter from the letting agency asking me to share half the cost of replacing the whole fence.

I have read my deeds, which state that the boundaries are all shared
My question is
As he replaced the fence has he accepted ownership?
Tonka

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Tonka,

welcome to the forum.

would you mind starting your own thread?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Tonka » Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks Mac
I'm new here, have done

Cheers
Tonka

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences