Fence replacement and garden destruction

Fence replacement and garden destruction

Postby VictimOne » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:23 am

My next door neighbour approached me and asked me if I could contribute 50% of the materials for him to replace the old broken fence. I knew this was his responsibility, however, in my effort of being a good neighbour I agreed to this arrangement.
I hired a gardener to prune the climbers and clear the areas near the fence so that the installation of new fence would not disturb my plants. The next door asked me if I could order new fence panels as according to him, the panels would not go through his maisonette but could be carried through my house. I duly ordered (and paid) for them and informed him that they are in my garden. He did not install them on the arranged day and decided to do so on the following day while I was out.
Upon my return, I found my garden completely destroyed: all old fence panels together with other rubbish thrown all over my garden, against a newly pained wall, on top of potted plants, etc.
Furthermore this guy saw off the climbers which were already pruned and dag up the roots! (He is obviously not the plant fan) He also knocked down the brickwork of flower beds. Some of the plants he destroyed had much fond memories of my late husband.
This destruction was totally unnecessary if he installed the panels from his garden and even if he did so from my side, none of the destruction was necessary.
I subsequently discovered that the next door was a housing association property and the fence was their responsibility. This guy would have not even paid for the repair.
I contacted the housing association, and although they were sympathetic about my situation, they would not even reprimand this tenant for his malicious behaviour and only told me to go to the police. I made an appointment with the police for this afternoon.
In the meantime, the legal team of my house insurance company is working on how to deal with this situation.
In my opinion, this is a case of vandalism. This guy did not even have to ask me for the cost of the fence as this was the issue to be taken by the housing association. He only wanted to intimidate me through this destruction.
He is not answering my calls, visits and not replying to my text messages.
I should be grateful if anyone has a bright idea as to how to deal with the situation.
VictimOne

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Fence replacement and garden destruction

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 am

Hi VictimOne,

it's sounds like the guy next door is not a very thoughtful or considerate person.

I should be grateful if anyone has a bright idea as to how to deal with the situation.

tell the police you view the destruction of your plants and damage to your wall as criminal damage, then see what they say.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby cobdale » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

sounds like the guy next door is a straight crank
cobdale

Postby VictimOne » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:50 am

HI. Thank you for your comment and suggestion. The matter is now in the hand of the police. VO
VictimOne

Return to Fences