Fence damage by children next door

Fence damage by children next door

Postby warren » Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi,

Hope someone can help. We do not get on with our neighbours next door - basically they are noisy in the house and in the garden, we never get a minutes peace from the adults or children. I came home today to my daughter saying that the three kids had been sat on the fence and one of them was running across the garden to get their ball that had come over. The fence is old and needs replacing but they have damaged the top of it so that part of it is hanging off. I am very annoyed about the fact that they had come in the garden but am worried that if one of the kids injures themselves that my horrible neighbour will blame me! I just don't know where I stand - I am at the end of my tether.

It sounds ridiculous to be moaning about three kids 10 and under but they, along with their parents are making our lives a misery. I want to put a fence up. But not sure how high I can take it but then part of me thinks why should I go to all the extra expense?

Thanks for any help. W
warren

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Fence damage by children next door

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi warren,

I don't know how your neighbour would have reacted if one of their kids had injured themselves whilst climbing on the fence.

I do know they couldn't hold you liable though (unless the fence is in a dangerous state of disrepair?)

I assume you own the fence? (you haven't made that clear).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Put a 6ft close board fence up, with a concrete gravel board at the bottom, (will give you another 6" height), that should be high enough to block a lot of their antics out, and sturdy enough to stop them climbing it. It'll probably cost you more in the first instance, but should last many years. If that gets damaged then you need to speak to the Police, regarding possible criminal damage to your fence and trespass into your garden.
Hugh Jaleak

Postby warren » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies. It is a joint fence according to the deeds but I have always kept the fence painted etc because nextdoor don't bother. The comment about the 6ft fence is great, we shall probably go that way forward even if it costs money so that we can keep the little blighters out! It would be so much cheaper if they would move - no such luck but I guess we can live in hope ! W
warren

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi warren,

It is a joint fence according to the deeds...

can you elaborate please (you may well be wrong).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Sudynim » Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 am

warren wrote:The comment about the 6ft fence is great, we shall probably go that way forward even if it costs money so that we can keep the little blighters out!

I agree. Erecting a really solid, high fence might cost a fair bit in the short term, but you'll gain so much peace and privacy.
Sudynim

Postby despair » Sat May 17, 2014 5:10 am

I very much doubt that kids whose parents make no effort to control them are likely to respect a new expensive fence anymore than they did the old one

sadly today we have too many people enjoying wrecking other peoples lives

the op would be better served to move and find peace elsewhere
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi warren,

It is a joint fence according to the deeds...

can you elaborate please (you may well be wrong).

Kind regards, Mac

Hi warren,

as nice an idea as the new fence sounds, before spending £££ I think it would be wise to establish who owns the old fence.

can you post the wording from your title registers that led you to believe it is a 'joint fence'.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby appledore » Sat May 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi Warren. I think putting up a 6ft fence is a good idea to keep the kids out of your garden. It becomes a game - kicking or throwing the ball over and coming into the garden to get it. The only thing is they may carryon throwing the ball into your garden, and then coming to your door and asking for their ball back. Equally irritating. :roll:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 pm

They are also likely to kick balls at the new fence too

Both the noise and the damage will be least of your problems ...............MOVE
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi appledore,

It becomes a game - kicking or throwing the ball over and coming into the garden to get it

I have a very good memory of my childhood and the many 'games' I took part in - including some which would be described by grown ups as plain mischief/borderline criminal - but I never played or heard another kid suggest the "throw our ball in a garden and risk losing it" game. It sounds unbelievably boring. :)

Nostalgic regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Sun May 18, 2014 11:11 am

I agree with Mac re confirming who is responsible. The first step is your and the neighbours' deeds to see exactly what they say - or don't say - about any responsibility for maintaining a fence. People often mis-interpret these. You can get deeds online from the Land Registry for a small fee if you don't have them to hand. Post up the exact words so we can see - the devil is in the detail I'm afraid.

However, this fence is yours as presumably you erected it? If there is nothing in the deeds that states you and he must jointly keep a fence on the boundary in good repair etc etc then from what you say and there being little likelihood of any contribution from the neighbours, your options (apart from moving, which is a very extreme and expensive option) are either (1) leave the fence to rot and put up with their brats running wild - they will grow older and move further afield in a few years time; or (2) put up a new fence as has been suggested. You run the risk obviously that they may damage it with their play but will have to cross that bridge if/when it comes. I believe there is some sticky/smelly anti-cat product you can smear along the top which might deter any climbing attempts but you cannot put barbed wire on a domestic fence I believe (though others here may know the rules better).
arsie

Postby despair » Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 pm

If the OP does decide to install a fence i would suggest they install chain link on the neighbours side and posts at 2 metre intervals so you can use the posts to bolt panels tight up against it on the OPs side

That way the chain link protects the panels and its likely the end cost will be same as installing a feather edge fence where security will be breached when the climb the arris rails or if they are given the good side painting it in some ghastly colour that seeps through

With neighbours like these never give an inch or anything good because they simply will not respect it
despair

Postby appledore » Sun May 18, 2014 6:14 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi appledore,

It becomes a game - kicking or throwing the ball over and coming into the garden to get it

I have a very good memory of my childhood and the many 'games' I took part in - including some which would be described by grown ups as plain mischief/borderline criminal - but I never played or heard another kid suggest the "throw our ball in a garden and risk losing it" game. It sounds unbelievably boring. :

Nostalgic regards, Mac

Hi Mac. It's called winding up your neighbours. It does sound boring, but our neighbours' kids played it for hours.
I preferred knocky nine doors when I was young. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby COGGY » Mon May 19, 2014 9:23 am

Hi

The idea from Despair to put chain link fencing on the neighbour's side sounds good to me. If you also have room to grow some tall shrubs on your side this would help to deaden the noise and any prickles would deter the children from climbing over. Anything that grows to about eight feet should be good. Miracle grow and plenty of water will ensure speedy growth.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences