Neighbours Fence- been down since christmas

Neighbours Fence- been down since christmas

Postby bathwiggle » Sun May 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me.

Next doors fence came down, all 6 panels, Christmas eve in the storms, she has 5 dogs, and still has not repaired the fence. She tells me she can't afford it, she is a council tenant and the council are telling me that it is her responsibility and they won't do it.

I've already had to replace all of my fencing and the cladding on the house following the storms; i can not afford to do her fence as well but i'm getting fed up of the dogs coming into the garden and the Alsations trying to attack me. I have tried to talk to her but that ended up with abuse being shouted at me, my lodger getting threatened and her declaring 'this is war'.

Do the council have a duty of care to maintain the property including the fence or am i going to have to live with the dogs having 2 gardens and me unable to use my garden all summer?

This is in Dunstable if that makes a difference?

Thank you in advance
bathwiggle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours Fence- been down since christmas

Postby Geometer » Sun May 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Nobody is legally obliged to fence their property, but your neighbour does have a legal duty to retain her dogs on her land, although this need not be by fencing the boundaries. I'm not a legal expert so I can't advise on what course of action to take (maybe an injunction?), but I'm sure someone will be along who can.
Geometer

Postby despair » Sun May 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Your neighbour has 100% legal obligation to retyain her dogs

As for claiming she cant afford to re fence thats her problem ..................feeding 5 dogss is not cheap

I would aquire pallkets free from tile shops or freegle/.freecycle and make a barrier with them to keep your garden secure

but give the neighbour an earful pointing out she has a legal duty to retain her animals and its up to her to replace the fence pronto

I bet she has Sky TV , a mobile phone contract and smokes like a chimney along with visiting the pub
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi bathwiggle,

suppose the dogs were kept off your property but no fence went up...

would that be okay?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby bathwiggle » Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Mac, if the dogs stayed out of my garden, or i knew when they come out barking and growling that they can't attack when i go into the garden, no issue at all! but it has been admitted one of them is nasty, and there are children in the house.
bathwiggle

Postby arsie » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Not to pussyfoot about ;), I would report her to the local council dog officer. If you are feeling kind, write to her explaining her responsibility for keeping her dogs under control. It is up to her to sort out with her landlord who must put up/maintain fencing.
arsie

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi bathwiggle,

if you decide to follow arsie's good advice I would recommend you tell her beforehand that you'll be informing the dog officer - keeps everything in the open.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby bathwiggle » Tue May 27, 2014 6:43 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi bathwiggle,

if you decide to follow arsie's good advice I would recommend you tell her beforehand that you'll be informing the dog officer - keeps everything in the open.

Kind regards, Mac

arsie wrote:Not to pussyfoot about ;), I would report her to the local council dog officer. If you are feeling kind, write to her explaining her responsibility for keeping her dogs under control. It is up to her to sort out with her landlord who must put up/maintain fencing.

Thank you both. I shall try and talk to her again and see how it goes, and then try the council dog officer.
bathwiggle

Postby bathwiggle » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Just to update this, i do have a fence, sadly she has decided to continue with this campaign of hate, to the point she has decided to report me to the council as she thinks that i've stolen land, luckily my deeds do show it is mine, so hopefully she'll give up soon
bathwiggle

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 am

Hi bathwiggle,

reporting your alleged "land grab" to the council is clear evidence this woman doesn't have a clue - what on earth would it have to do with the council?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Mac

The neighbour is a council tenant.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi Mac

The neighbour is a council tenant.

Kind regards
Coggy

d'oh

Thanks
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences