fence between drives

Re: fence between drives

Postby despair » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 am

Trust the fencers will have the commonsense to screw the panels to posts not nail them
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby teddypinkskin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:55 am

Phew! Have now convinced my neighbour that the fence needs to be 100% on her side.
She was assuming she could put the posts in the same place as they where last time.
She's not happy about it as it means she will have to dig up part of her concrete to get some of the posts in.

However, she's still reluctant to tell me exactly when they're coming to do the work. I have told her I want to see the contractor before he starts work to okay the boundary line. I don't think I convinced her of this one though.
teddypinkskin

Postby teddypinkskin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for that despair

I will ask them about that when I see them.
teddypinkskin

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:33 am

Hi teddy,

...apparently a person's right to a boundary [feature] takes precedence over access to the sewer
...if needs be they would get the barrier down

that sounds very reasonable - put a fence/wall up but it'll have to come down if we need to get in.
think of the alternative...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Lilac Frost » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:17 pm

The fencers will not have any need to come onto your property. It can all be done from one side. There is no need to tell you when it is being erected. You are extremely lucky that she has agreed to put it further onto her land because it should be replaced where the original fence was.
Lilac Frost

Postby arsie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Smells a bit that the contractor is not available. I would take pictures. Draw/paint the boundary line before doing so.

Could you reverse into your garage? Depending which side you are it might/might not be easier. Certainly be easier to drive out.

@Lilac Frost: As the OP is responsible for the old boundary feature it would have been at the limit of his land. I think it is fair that if the neighbour wants her own fence that she should put in on her own land, not where the old fence was on the OP's land.
arsie

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Hi Lilac,

You are extremely lucky that she has agreed to put it further onto her land because it should be replaced where the original fence was.

for the benefit of the thread can you explain the above - particularly the use of the word 'should'

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby teddypinkskin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Mac

Thanks for your comment. Neighbour's contractor has decided to leave access to the sewer by cutting away part of the panel. Makes sense to me. Saves having to dismantle anything in case of a sewer blockage.

Kind regards
Teddy
teddypinkskin

Postby teddypinkskin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Lilac Frost

Thanks for your comment

Because we are responsible for maintaining the boundary and do not wish to have a fence, neighbour's fence must be 100% on her side. Anything else would cause confusion for any future owners.

Kind regards
Teddy
teddypinkskin

Postby teddypinkskin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Arsie

Thanks for your comment.

I find driving in easier that reversing in. I'm just going to have "suck it up" and get use to it.

Kind regards
Teddy
teddypinkskin

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi teddy,

I find driving in easier that reversing in.

most people do I guess, but we're not supposed to reverse out on to the highway.

I'm guessing the gap between your house and the edge of your land was plenty wide enough for older, narrower cars?

if it proves too tricky to manouevre in and out why not park on the drive instead and use the land where the garage stands for something else? (she could do the same)

has anybody pointed out to her that a house with a fence but an inaccessible garage might not be as attractive a proposition as a house with an accessible garage but no fence...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:34 am

teddypinkskin wrote: When we moved here we took the fence down .

There should still be evidence below ground.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby teddypinkskin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Mac

Mac wrote "I'm guessing the gap between your house and the edge of your land was plenty wide enough for older, narrower cars?"

Yes that's right. I would leave the car on the drive but my hubby prefers it in the garage says its safer and the insurance is cheaper.
We should really have tried driving down the drive before buying but we never thought of it at the time.
I'm a lot calmer now due to the good advice and friendly words on this forum but am staggered at the temporary (leastways I hope its temporary) insanity that descends upon you when someone "threatens" your boundary. I'm assuming its something left over from the "animal brain" causing you to defend your lair from invaders.

Friendly terms have been re-established with neighbour and I'm going to do as my husband suggests and "stop being so blinking paranoid" and trust that the contractors know their stuff.

Thanks to all respondents
Kind regards
Teddy
teddypinkskin

Postby despair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:25 pm

I would not trust contractors to know there stuff at all

or you will find a faitaccompli on your land
despair

Postby teddypinkskin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Despair

Thanks for your comment.

Neighbour has said the job is going to be done over the weekend and as both hubby and I our retired we can pretty much ensure either one or other of us will be here.

Kind regards
Teddy
teddypinkskin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences