Another fence / neighbour issue!

Another fence / neighbour issue!

Postby danthevan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi All,

Firstly, congrats on a great site. Have found some good info on here!

Here's the story, some may be irrelevant, but here it is, and it's a bit of a rant too.......

We've been living in our house for nearly 10 years, and always got on with the old dear next door, water her garden for her when she is on holiday, check on her to make sure she's ok, offer to get her shopping when it's snowing etc.
Past couple of years she's been going downhill with dementia (92 now!) and doesn't really leave the house.
Because of this, her son (late 60's and in virtually the same mental state) has moved in with her. Initially this was just 'every now and then' for a week or so, but this year he has been there full time.
Anyway, about 4 years ago we put up a summer house at the bottom of the garden which the front corner overhung her garden by a couple of inches. She was fine with this saying it didn't bother her at all. Couple of years ago, they had the bottom half of their garden fence replaced (it's a 2 tiered garden), like for like, with 4ft panels and trellis on top. We spoke to her as we were getting chickens and asked if we could screw some 2" timbers to the back of her posts to fix some plastic netting to to stop the chickens getting in her garden, again she was fine with this. Last year, her son had the remaining (top) part of the fence replaced by 'someone his son knew', again like for like, 4ft panels with trellis tops. All fine.
A few months back we caught him trapping one of our cats in his greenhouse and trying to tip a wheelbarrow full of water over it! Fair enough, he didn't want the cats in his garden, so we bought him a water pistol and mentioned how his mum used to like seeing the cats in the garden for a bit of company, but all of a sudden to him this was a problem. Don't think mum at this point remembers what a cat is, bless her........!
Couple of months ago he decided he was going to do a complete garden makeover. Sounds extreme, but apart from 2 4ft square flower beds, the other 80ft x 20ft of garden is done in block paving (which also causes us issues when it rains like it has done this year). So basically, for 2 months, 8 hrs a day, he has been in the garden digging and sieving soil from these 2 plots.
He has also undertaken it upon himself to buy a camera and take photos of cars that are parked anwhere close to his property, and report it to the council and police.
The slightly worrying part about his camera work is he's always in the garden with the camera. Bearing in mind there is nothing to take pics of, and us having 2 young kids and a low fence............ probably being over protective but.....!
Because he didn't want the cats in the garden and a bit of privacy, I put up some wicker screening. Couple of straining wires from our chicken fencing to our gate post, and a few staples with the staple gun into his fence posts, job was a good un. While i was doing it, i was weeding the garden to find that the goons that had put the fence in had not only moved the fence over into our garden, but also concreted 3" fence posts in with a 2ft square of concrete and cover it in soil. Made it a little difficult to plant the bedding plants wifey had bought where we wanted them.

Up til this morning, I was under the thought of "oh well, we'll plant them somewhere else, no biggy".

Then, this morning he had a guy from the council round.
Overheard the neighbour complaining to him about:
    The security gate we put in the alleyway (terraced house and have a few unsavory types around! At the time, he said it was a good idea and offered to pay half for it, never saw anything) because the lock was awkward to open
    The screening
    The battens fitted to his posts for the chicken mesh
    The overhang from the summer house
    Bushes to the rear of his garden growing near the fence (which isn't his, or ours, but adding it anyway while i'm ranting!)
    The poor condition of the fence on his other side, maily due to the hanging baskets he has hanging from it (again, nothing to do with us)

So, I'm expecting some sort of letter from the council.
I'm also expecting to be told by the council to remove and fixings into his fence posts, and cut the overhang off the summer house roof.
Ok, it's a bit of a pain in the butt, but fair enough.

As he is getting awkward over things, I feel it my duty to return the favour :D
So, where do I stand on:
    The over use of concrete filling our flower beds?
    The fact our garden floods when it rains heavy because of all the surface water coming off their blockwork garden which is higher than ours?
    Their fenceline which is visably (from the centreline of the alleyway) in our garden (probably because it was easier to install next to their blockwork paving rather than to cut round it!)?

Any tips, pointers, cheap hitmen gratefully received :D
danthevan

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Another fence / neighbour issue!

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi

Unless the council own one or the other properties, what interest is it of theirs, if you have not contravened PP or BR regs?
And if he does not own the house he is living in, why are the council listening to him anyway, instead of his mother.

The thought crossed my mind .... has he told the council rates dept that there are now two people living in the house?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby danthevan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for the reply John.

I'm just assuming the guy was from the council as I know he has been spending a lot of time there, and with the police (ref the parking) who share the building (know this as the wife runs the local neighbourhood watch so things ocassionally get leaked to us ;-) ) but guess it could have been a solicitor or something.

Council have no properties in the street.

Got me thinking now, because as you say, why would the council be bothered with it?

Just had a proper look now i'm back from work, and the entire fence line is over our side of what anyone looking visually would call the boundary looking at the block paving.

As for the part about him living there, I could find out as one of my friends works in that department.

It's that old 'small man with nothing better to do' syndrome I think.
danthevan

Postby danthevan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks for the reply John.

I'm just assuming the guy was from the council as I know he has been spending a lot of time there, and with the police (ref the parking) who share the building (know this as the wife runs the local neighbourhood watch so things ocassionally get leaked to us ;-) ) but guess it could have been a solicitor or something.

Council have no properties in the street.

Got me thinking now, because as you say, why would the council be bothered with it?

Just had a proper look now i'm back from work, and the entire fence line is over our side of what anyone looking visually would call the boundary looking at the block paving.

As for the part about him living there, I could find out as one of my friends works in that department.

danthevan

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi dan,

Overheard the neighbour complaining...

that's all this is - some guy moaning to another guy.

nothing will come of it.

as for what she has done:

concrete - I'd "adjust" this to leave about a 9" encroachment into your side
block paving - nothing
boundary feature - how do you know where the boundary is?

All my non-expert, unqualified understanding.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Rosenberg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:29 am

danthevan wrote:As for the part about him living there, I could find out as one of my friends works in that department.

Just who are we talking about here?

Why do you think the person your neighbour was talking to was part of some sort of complaint against you. Clearly, half of what he was talking about could not possibly have had anything to do with you. How come you heard all this anyway?

If your neighbour seems a bit aggrieved, I am not really surprised. It might appear to him that you have taken advantage of his elderly mother by nailing things to her fence and building that overhanging structure.

Incidentally, I think it is pretty low to make vague implications that this man is a potential child abuser just because he uses a camera. Do you have any real evidence for this accusation? Has he actually made any approaches towards your children or photographed them? Making accusations like that without evidence is a pretty nasty thing to do and smacks of jumping on the bandwaggon of Savile hysteria.

What is the background to all this? Surely there must be something you haven't told us to make you compile such a portfolio of petty complaints about this man.
Rosenberg

Postby Rosenberg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:16 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:concrete - I'd "adjust" this to leave about a 9" encroachment into your side

It is probably not much more than that now: (24 - 3) / 2 =10.5 inches. Two feet sounds a lot, but 10.5 inches doesn't seem too unreasonable, depending upon the nature of the soil, of course.
Rosenberg

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi Rosenberg,

you're assuming the posts were positioned in the centre of the holes...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Rosenberg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi Rosenberg,

you're assuming the posts were positioned in the centre of the holes...

Kind regards, Mac

Yes. In the absence of any information to the contrary it seems the most reasonable assumption, although I suppose there may be instances where a degree of asymmetry is necessary.

I pointed out the possibility because, to the casual reader (and there are certainly some on this forum), it might seem that the OP was complaining about the concrete projecting 2 feet into his garden. If that is indeed the case, perhaps he will clarify the situation.
Rosenberg

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences