Fence height

Fence height

Postby debih » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:59 am

Its me again - more questions relating to our nightmare neighbour!

We live in a row of terraced houses and our front door is right next to our problem neighbours front door, separated only by a narrow wall between the two houses.

We have had the low fence there for many years, it completely surrounds our yard area. We now want to put some sort of higher fence panel up at the part between the two front doors to give us more privacy (she has taken to sitting outside her front door in a morning, with her chair against our fence and it feels quite intrusive. I know she is allowed to as it is her land but it still feels very close to us.

We are thinking some sort of trellis so I can grow something up it to screen it even more. The plan is to attach it directly to the top of the existing fence.

Is there a height limit that we can go to?

(I have to add - ours is the nicely kept and painted blue door, not the one with the grubby net curtains in. :D :D :D )
debih

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Fence height

Postby despair » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 am

Technically its probably 2 metres but many people would take it much higher

Since she is the complaining sort you might be best to take a photo to your planning office and ask if they would have a problem if you took it higher

remember though that she is probably petty enough to cut off every leaf that escapes through to her side and no doubt throw it back
despair

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:49 am

Hi,

Years ago, everybody would have sat in their front garden if the sun was shining, but nowadays things are different (I'm not sure which Prime Minister to blame :D ), and personally I would rather be behind a 6ft fence all round ... possibly because I would be embarrassed if my neighbour caught me looking into their garden (My previous neighbour used to sit in a deck-chair, sun-bathing, with her top rolled down far enough for me to take an involuntary double take. OK, that's MY problem.)

As I understand it, you can raise your fence to 2 metres, unless it is within 2 metres of a highway, in which case it's 1 metre. No doubt I will be corrected if I've got that wrong.

Looking at your photo, I notice that you have a gate into your neighbours garden. ROW? Does that count as a highway? I also notice YOUR shadow. I wonder if your proposed fence would obstruct your neighbours sunshine, thus obviating her desire to sit where her chair is in the photo. She might just move it into the sunshine, so you would then need a taller gate.

You could try sitting out at the same time as your neighbour ... enjoying a Vindaloo, which you had in the freezer especially for the occasion.

A gang of young kids leaning on the fence, staring at her, can also by quite off-putting ... but please don't.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby debih » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 am

LOL Jon.

Yes, we have a gate that as our access to the house is via the path that runs in front of hers. Typical 1900's terraced house! We are the only people with access across the front of her house and no one has access across the front of ours. The two other houses at the end of our terrace have a separate path to theirs.

I don't care if it blocks her sunshine - the only other place she could sit would be in the middle of the pathway, thus blocking our access - I will just then keep walking backwards and forwards so she has to keep moving!

I'll have to get the kids to play out there a little more often - maybe bouncing a ball around for the dog to yap at. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't mind her sitting there if she wasn't as mad as a box of frogs. The neighbour to the other side sits out on the front, as do I in our little bit - but we are normal, rational people!
debih

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:58 am

Hi debih,

We have had the low fence there for many years, it completely surrounds our yard area.

if it's your fence then crack on as planned.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 am

debih wrote: (she has taken to sitting outside her front door in a morning, with her chair against our fence and it feels quite intrusive.

If she is the sole carer for an elderly parent, she is probably taking a very well earned break.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby debih » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:40 pm

arborlad wrote:
debih wrote: (she has taken to sitting outside her front door in a morning, with her chair against our fence and it feels quite intrusive.

If she is the sole carer for an elderly parent, she is probably taking a very well earned break.

Thats fine - but why does she have to sit right next to my front door! She has a side garden that she can go sit in!
debih

Postby arborlad » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 pm

debih wrote:
arborlad wrote:

Thats fine - but why does she have to sit right next to my front door! She has a side garden that she can go sit in!

Speculation over why she chooses one spot as opposed to another, is probably unhelpful, but I can think of at least one good reason.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby debih » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 pm

arborlad wrote:
Speculation over why she chooses one spot as opposed to another, is probably unhelpful, but I can think of at least one good reason.

:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
debih

Postby wobbly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 pm

as a builder we have been told many times that the maximum height at the front of a property for any wall or fence is 1m
the side or rear may be up to 2M without planning permission
cheers wobbs
wobbly

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:47 pm

wobbly wrote:as a builder we have been told many times that the maximum height at the front of a property for any wall or fence is 1m
the side or rear may be up to 2M without planning permission
cheers wobbs

Hi wobbly,

as has already been mentioned, it would depend on whether "the front", "the side" or "rear" was adjacent to a highway.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 am

debih wrote:
arborlad wrote:

I prefer to think she has chosen that location so she can more readily hear her father if he calls out.

You prefer to think she has chosen that location to intrude on your privacy.

Maybe neither of us are right.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby COGGY » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

Hi

Is it possible that the chosen location enjoys the sun during the morning? Most of us tend to sit wherever the sun is at that time of day. If I have breakfast in the garden it is at the back of the house, during the afternoon the sun moves round to the front garden so then I sit there.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 am

Hi debih,

I prefer to think she has chosen that location so she can more readily hear her father if he calls out.

this is what I was thinking too.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby humptydumpty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 pm

It really matters not why she sits there, as it is nobodies business but hers!

She is just enjoying her property as you should yours, if putting up up a taller fence makes your garden more enjoyable to you, get on with putting one up!
humptydumpty

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences