climbing plant growing on my trellis.

Re: climbing plant growing on my trellis.

Postby despair » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Never ever a good idea to put a fence in 1ft or even 1 inch back from the boundary its asking for trouble

as for not disturbing their footings thats ridiculous anyone with an ounce of sense simply staggers the posts midway of the other panels even if you have to have half panels at either end
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby sarron » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:41 am

That's correct despair, totally agree however there are lots of cowboy bodge job handymen out there who haven't got half a brain.. As for people freeloading off me for a boundary fence, if someone kicks footballs against it, stains the side facing theirs a different colour, attaches other fences to it, or allows their dogs to damage it, then that's abusing my property. I have had all this and more. I accept that I have given them land, that's not really an issue.
My original post was to clarify where my neighbour could position their fence. I think were clear on this.

People who use and abuse other people's fence / property or do things to it without permission of the owners are freeloaders. They don't pay for what theyve done, the owner does at least in my experience.
YOUR HEART IS FREE, HAVE THE COURAGE TO FOLLOW IT.
sarron

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 am

Hi sarron,

My original post was to clarify where my neighbour could position their fence. I think were clear on this.

are any of them looking to erect a fence?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Geometer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:26 pm

sarron wrote: Hi all
I have a large fence which is bordered by 5 new build houses to the side. Over the years each of these properties has removed their end of garden fences , leaving ours as the sole petitioning fence.
My fence is a foot inside my property boundary, however this isn't recorded on the title deed.

With all due respect, Sarron, I think you've created a rod for your own back there.
sarron wrote:If one of my neighbors erects their own fence can they put it close to mine, ensuring no disturbance to the foundations of mine or do they observe the foot of land between?

There's a difference between "can" and "should". Legally, your neighbours should respect the actual boundary line; practically, they can put their fences wherever they like on their side of your fence, including butting it up to yours. Your question should perhaps be: if they attempt to annexe that foot-wide strip of land by doing the latter, what can you do about it? I'm not sure of the answer, but I hope you're not planning on selling your house in the near future, because you've got the makings of a nice little neighbour dispute that could scupper the whole proceedings.

sarron wrote: Also, every year I have to cut back vegetation overhanging profusely from one of the neighbouring gardens. My neighbour has now started cutting a climbing plant off my trellis which isn't overhanging as such., but climbs on both sides of the trellis.
Should they be doing this, their argument being that I cut theirs back, a good foot overhang every year..

Are the fence and trellis the same structure? If not, what sort of fence is it, and where is the trellis in relation to both the fence and the boundary line?

Could you clarify what you mean by "foundations"? Fences don't usually have "foundations" in the usual sense of the word. Is your fence fixed by means other than the usual series of posts set into holes filled with concrete?

sarron wrote:That's correct despair, totally agree however there are lots of cowboy bodge job handymen out there who haven't got half a brain..

What do "cowboy handymen" have to do with the matter?

If I were in your shoes, I'd be getting out there with some posts and wire and reinstating the original fence line PDQ.
Geometer

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Geometer,

If I were in your shoes, I'd be getting out there with some posts and wire and reinstating the original fence line PDQ.

sounds simple enough, but it'd involve a 5:1 dispute (original fence removed 17 yrs and counting).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Previous

Return to Fences