Chain link fences....

Chain link fences....

Postby grouchfungus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Hello. It's my first post here.

I live a door but one from a Cemetery. Our Semi Detached neighbours have had a few problems with rubbish etc being thrown over the Cemetery wall into their garden. I have just found out that the neighbours have asked the council to put up a fence to prevent this happening.

So today when I got home from work the posts have been installed today. Apparently the council is installing Chain Link Fencing on to the top of the wall. I've measured the new fencing posts and they are 6 feet in height above the top of the wall.

The current wall is about 5.5ft so adding the two together gives a total height of about 11.5 feet. Are the council within their rights to do this without consultation? The new higher fence will inhibit my view into the cemetery and all the nice trees and view will be hindered. I'm not totally against the higher fence idea - my neighbour is of course entitled to some privacy, but adding just a couple of feet would have suited better. It will all seem quite imposing.

Any thoughts please.....
grouchfungus

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Chain link fences....

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi grouchfungus,

The new higher fence will inhibit my view into the cemetery and all the nice trees and view will be hindered

not only do you not own a view, I am struggling to appreciate how a chain-link fence - which must be 5% wire, 95% nothingness - is going to inhibit your view...

that said, I think it's pretty off that it's just happening without notice - why don't you contact your LPA to establish why you did not need to be consulted...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Brainsey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I suppose that the council are installing something that high so that it is effective in preventing the nuisance your neighbour has complained of.

Normally a fence higher than 2m would need planning permission so it may be worth checking whether the council granted themselves PP.

If not, their answer to the obvious question should be interesting.
Brainsey

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 am

Hi Brainsey,

Normally a fence higher than 2m would need planning permission...

definitely the case for dwellings - is it the same for cemeteries?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences