Help! Can My Neighbor Do This?

Help! Can My Neighbor Do This?

Postby avo1972 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi everyone, new here and just hoping someone can clarify something for me as I cannot find a definitive answer to my question anywhere else!

I have a detached house. Between myself and my neighbor there is an area of land approx 7 ft wide by the length of the two house walls. This is his land. We have had words over the persistent noise levels down the side of our house due to his work etc... He has also at times stacked materials against our wall. He has also at some point in the past when we were away, attached a fence post to the corner of our house wall so that he can hang a gate across the opening. This was done without permission from us. He has a shed at the other end of the space and yes, the roof slopes towards our house wall not his.

Coming to the question now and thank you for reading this far. He has now decided in his wisdom that he is going to run a fence along the length of my house wall, 2 inches inside the line of my wall so it is not actually touching my wall at any point along its length. He is then using this new structure to stack all recycling boxes, bins, compost bins and general rubbish which were all previously located somewhere else. (along his conservatory)

All I really want to know, is can he do this legally? The wall in question is our lounge wall and they are less than considerate about when they are down there making a racket, the whole issue is a proximity issue, and every sound he makes really reverberates through the wall which is very annoying.

I can only see all the previous now escalating and becoming more of a problem than before. Is this fence legal?

Thanks in advance, Martin
avo1972

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Help! Can My Neighbor Do This?

Postby humptydumpty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 pm

If its his land he is, in my opinion, within his rights. He should not be fixing anything to your house.

The noise is a different matter, this can be reported, and measured. Is the noise that bad?

Sometimes when we "fall out" with our neighbours it is all to easy to exaggerate and over react to the situation. Sit back and take a fresh look at the whole situation, try and see it from the neighbours view (are they just utilising their land to their best advantage) if afterwards you feel the same, well then you need to speak to your local council. A visit to Citizens Advice Bureau won't go a miss either.
humptydumpty

Re: Help! Can My Neighbor Do This?

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Martin,

if he's erecting a fence wholly on his own land then, yes, he can do it.

in what way were you hoping he might "legally" be stopped?

what sort of "persistent noise levels" are we talking about?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences