Mean Neighbour's Dodgy Fence

Re: Mean Neighbour's Dodgy Fence

Postby Rosenberg » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:37 am

violetsky wrote:So we are definitely legally allowed to put up our own fence next to hers?

Yes, you are certainly allowed to erect your own fence. You can also cut away any part of the tree stump that is encroaching into your garden. Just be careful not to place your posts so that they are inset into your neighbour's fence - assume the boundary line runs along the edge of the fence posts, not along the edge of the panels/gravel boards.

violetsky wrote:My husband has never put one up before, are there any good how to tutorial sites anyone can recommend?

Putting up a fence is so easy an idiot could do it...and often do. It's not rocket science, as the Americans say, but if you try Googling "fencing techniques" etc., you are bound to find plenty of web sites that will help. Personally I prefer the old fashioned method of disseminating information: the book. The Readers Digest DIY Manual is more than adequate for basic fencing. I am sure you'll find a copy, or something similar, at your local book shop.
Rosenberg

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:50 am

violetsky wrote:Problem is arbour lad that the old fence was already there when we got the house so no clue who originally put it up and she won't be civil so if I ask her she isn't going to tell me, and while it sounds awful, I really can't be confident she'd be truthful even if she did. With her having replaced it, doesn't that now mean it's hers regardless? How else could I work out whose it is/was? Can you tell from where the fence line is or anything?

This is normally a starting point for most: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk

How the fence lines up with other fixed features of known ownership, like a garage or gable end of a house are all useful, which side of the property it is on compared to other similar properties, asking neighbours might help. The panels are obviously newish but have been used elsewhere, the posts and gravel boards are much older.

There is only one boundary between two lands, there should only be one fence to define it.

Advice to add a second fence is bad advice, advice to add a second fence without attempting to establish ownership of the existing one is reprehensible.

The screws are an obvious danger but you can't hammer them back as though they were nails, they need withdrawing from the other side and then replaceing with a batten held on your side.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:29 pm

arborlad wrote:
violetsky wrote:Problem is arbour lad that the old fence was already there when we got the house so no clue who originally put it up and she won't be civil so if I ask her she isn't going to tell me, and while it sounds awful, I really can't be confident she'd be truthful even if she did. With her having replaced it, doesn't that now mean it's hers regardless? How else could I work out whose it is/was? Can you tell from where the fence line is or anything?

This is normally a starting point for most: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk

How the fence lines up with other fixed features of known ownership, like a garage or gable end of a house are all useful, which side of the property it is on compared to other similar properties, asking neighbours might help. The panels are obviously newish but have been used elsewhere, the posts and gravel boards are much older.

There is only one boundary between two lands, there should only be one fence to define it.

Advice to add a second fence is bad advice, advice to add a second fence without attempting to establish ownership of the existing one is reprehensible.

The screws are an obvious danger but you can't hammer them back as though they were nails, they need withdrawing from the other side and then replaceing with a batten held on your side
+1
MacadamB53

Postby Rosenberg » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 am

arborlad wrote:Advice to add a second fence is bad advice, advice to add a second fence without attempting to establish ownership of the existing one is reprehensible.

It seems that Violetsky HAS attempted to establish ownership of the existing fence, but has exhausted all avenues of enquiry. Do you suggest she now does nothing? Erecting her own fence would seem to be the most pragmatic solution as long as she retains suitable evidence that the new fence is hers and that it was erected on her land (receipts, photos, measurements etc.). She might (just might) be losing 2 to 4 inches of land, but she would certainly be gaining privacy, peace of mind and a degree of control over the boundary feature. Sometimes it's just not worth quibbling over a few inches.
Rosenberg

Previous

Return to Fences