Mean Neighbour's Dodgy Fence

Re: Mean Neighbour's Dodgy Fence

Postby despair » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Well aware how much Arborlad disapproves of double fence BUT there are times when theres really little other option

You can let those protruding screws damage you or your kids and since she likes playing peeping tom and makes false allegations I would install a 2 metre (6ft6in) fence ASAP slam up tight to hers by staggering the posts
By all means remove the tree stump and once you have shut her out totally and utterly ignore her

The Police can do nothing .........2 metres is the max legal height for fences END OF

Add cheap trellis from £1 shop attached to your own fence with panel pins
buy Clematis and jasmines from Morrisons supermarkets £2 each (not Montana varieties though ) and grow them up the trellis and enjoy a colourful summer next year
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi despair,

By all means remove the tree stump

it's under the neighbour's fence.

I would install a 2 metre (6ft6in) fence...
...Add cheap trellis...
...buy Clematis and jasmines... ...grow them up the trellis...

et voila! even less space for the kids to play in...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby violetsky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:41 pm

I do see your point that she already hates us so annoying her further doesn't change anything but I am worried that removing the stump will spoil her fence, then she will make our lives hell over it. if the gravel board lies flat without the stump, won't it means her fence will then not be straight as it was planed at an angle to accommodate the stump? Would I get my husband to just dig out? It seems all the concrete would be in the way, I don't know. It looks like a silver birch, like the huge big 40 foot one she has at the bottom of her garden. I have no idea if we could build a fence with the stump there, is it classed as our stump as it's now in our garden or is it hers because it's grown in from her side? If it is hers, will I get in trouble for removing it, or deliberately rotting it away or something?

Sorry, so many questions! I am really useless with it all. Thanks so much for all the advice by the way, I really appreciate it.
violetsky

Postby despair » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Mac ..you are going overboard

The Op could legally easily remove enough of that stump to install a fence and by adding trellis and clematis would have a nice scene to look at along with blocking out Mrs Nasty
As for loosing space a 3 inch strip is hardly going to matter when the OP cant currently let her 2 kids near a fence with dangerous screws sticking out
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

despair wrote: :!:

Your post of 4-19pm is not appearing - anyone else having similar problems?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi despair,

As for loosing space a 3 inch strip

have you not grown clematis or jasmine?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 pm

arborlad wrote:
despair wrote: :!:

Your post of 4-19pm is not appearing - anyone else having similar problems?

Hi arborlad,

I can see a posting from 'despair' with a time of 15:19 but not 16:19...
MacadamB53

Postby violetsky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I love the idea of climbing plants making it look pretty but when we moved in there was some kind of creeper all up one side of our house from a raised bed next to it and this thing was a nightmare. We tried to dig it out five times but it always came back, we ended up removing the entire raised bed, taking the soil etc to the tip, and just yesterday I actually found a small little vine of it growing halfway down the garden, nowhere near where it originally was. It just won't die!! No idea what it even is but it sends out these thick vine creepers and it's root system was insane... So I'm very wary of anything like that! I'm in love with wisteria but I read that can be just as bad, and also I think poisonous? It's a shame my garden tastes are kind of incompatible with children!
violetsky

Postby COGGY » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi

It is always best to read the label and/or look up information regarding any plant. The RHS web site is a good place to start. You will then know how high a plant is likely to grow and any problems you may have with it, including what soil it likes. I love clematis and have lots of them. We did get rid of a couple that grew too much, which is why we now look up information or ask advice at the garden centre before purchasing. There are also roses that are not too prickly today. Our criteria for choosing roses is length of flowering, likely problems and fragrance. Do some research and you can buy with confidence.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:49 pm

the invasive creeper you had trouble with will likely be Russian Vine .............notorious but Glyphosate should kill it
or remote possibly Summer Jasmine (little red flowers )

However theres no way that the hybrid flowering Clematis will do anything like that ( Montana and Armandii are to be avoided though they are too vigorous )

I have loads of them up trellis , trees ,and not one of them will send out roots beyond there sphere

you can even sink a large plastic plant pot /tub /bucket with drain holes and grow them in that

I will post a photo of my daughters garden which is small but she has done exactly what I am suggesting for the OP and they take up no space at all
despair

Postby Brainsey » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:48 am

Some thoughts of simple things to do - or should that simply say, some simple thoughts . . ?

1. Cut off the protruding screws. They may be hardened ones in which case you'll need sharp pincers with the mechanism to give improved mechanical advantage. Alternatively just use an angle grinder and a cutting disc. Your mean neighbour must go out sometime!

2. Instead of climbers for disguising the fence bodge (that's the polite description) have a look in your local garden centre at evergreen shrubs that either won't grow too big or can easily be kept in check. There's many to choose from. Another source of "what to grow where" is the RHS web site.
Brainsey

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:56 am

arborlad wrote:
violetsky wrote:My neighbour has replaced the fence panels between our back gardens. I don't know whose fence panels they were originally.
Thanks for looking.

One of your biggest problems.

You really need to ascertain ownership of the fence, without that knowledge you can't move forward in any meaningful way.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby violetsky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:40 pm

Problem is arbour lad that the old fence was already there when we got the house so no clue who originally put it up and she won't be civil so if I ask her she isn't going to tell me, and while it sounds awful, I really can't be confident she'd be truthful even if she did. With her having replaced it, doesn't that now mean it's hers regardless? How else could I work out whose it is/was? Can you tell from where the fence line is or anything?
violetsky

Postby despair » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Violet

You simply have to decide what is the best option for your peace of mind and the safety of your children

IMHE the only way to deal with nasty neighbours like yours is to install the max height fence of 2 metres (6ft6) and block them out completely

That way you can enjoy what you like your side and it sure wont look attractive on hers

She can rant and rave all she likes but theres ZERO she can do and the police will soon ignore her and her false allegations
despair

Postby violetsky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks despair, I'm in total agreement with you as from my point if view I just don't need any of it, I've never done anything to her to deserve her horrible behaviour, she just seems to be a very mean spirited person who enjoys causing upset and she isn't ever going to change, so it would be lovely to be able to enjoy our decent sized garden without being anxious about her and her fence etc. You are also spot on about our demon plant being a russian vine! I googled photos, you definitely know your stuff!

So we are definitely legally allowed to put up our own fence next to hers? My husband has never put one up before, are there any good how to tutorial sites anyone can recommend?

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
violetsky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences