1metre fence next to a 2metre fence?

1metre fence next to a 2metre fence?

Postby nuttyports » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Can someone please let me know whether I can put a 1m fence in front of a 2m fence? My problem is I have a 2m fence adjacent to the highway, someone has complained! To get over the planning refusal (which we have been told is likely) can I put a 1m fence in front of it? - is there any law saying I can't? We have left just about enough space for this - it would look ridiculous but I'd rather the higher fence as our house is the last house on the highway down a county lane and our back garden is on the highway.
nuttyports

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: 1metre fence next to a 2metre fence?

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

nuttyports wrote:Can someone please let me know whether I can put a 1m fence in front of a 2m fence? My problem is I have a 2m fence adjacent to the highway, someone has complained! To get over the planning refusal (which we have been told is likely) can I put a 1m fence in front of it? - is there any law saying I can't? We have left just about enough space for this - it would look ridiculous but I'd rather the higher fence as our house is the last house on the highway down a county lane and our back garden is on the highway.

Hi nutty,

a 1m fence would be okay under permitted development, but I don't think installing one would alter the fact you have a 2m adjacent to highway (ie near to - not next to).

otherwise the legislation would be pointless wouldn't it...

could you modify the fence so it could be considered a very shallow shed? (I'm not asking I'm suggesting)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Re: 1metre fence next to a 2metre fence?

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
nuttyports wrote:Can someone please let me know whether I can put a 1m fence in front of a 2m fence? My problem is I have a 2m fence adjacent to the highway, someone has complained! To get over the planning refusal (which we have been told is likely) can I put a 1m fence in front of it? - is there any law saying I can't? We have left just about enough space for this - it would look ridiculous but I'd rather the higher fence as our house is the last house on the highway down a county lane and our back garden is on the highway.

Hi nutty,

a 1m fence would be okay under permitted development, but I don't think installing one would alter the fact you have a 2m adjacent to highway (ie near to - not next to).

otherwise the legislation would be pointless wouldn't it...

could you modify the fence so it could be considered a very shallow shed? (I'm not asking I'm suggesting)

Kind regards, Mac

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19266 :?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Fences