PP for 1.4m front fence to replace an earlier similar fence

PP for 1.4m front fence to replace an earlier similar fence

Postby sijomi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:21 pm

I live in a 1930's ex-council terraced house which has a >1m wide pavement between the front boundary of the property and the road. I would like to erect across the entire front boundary of my property a 1.2m high close board fence (incl gate) which, being greater that 1m, appears to require planning permission. More than half (>100) of the properties in the road, many of them ex-council social housing, already have similar fences. A previous owner of my house appears to have removed a fence by cutting posts at ground level. Thus the full width of the front boundary is open to the pavement probably originally to allow a car to be parked there. The houses attached to mine have walls and/or hedges on their front boundary. I believe my plan is actually to build a fence to replace an identical one removed sometime earlier and identical to many others in the road. Do I still need to apply for planning permission? The local authority planning department wants £180 just to consider if the work I am proposing even needs planning permission and then further sums if it decides it does. Actually building the fence will cost me less than £150.
sijomi

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: PP for 1.4m front fence to replace an earlier similar fe

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi sijomi,

Do I still need to apply for planning permission?

based on what you've described the answer is "yes".

given its 1.2m and there are many others already in situ, I would erect the fence without applying and hope the LPA enforcement team don't come aknockin to ask me to apply retrospectively.

if they don't show up (because nobody's told them) then once 4 years passes by it becomes lawful and doesn't need an app.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am

Hi,

I agree with Mac, just do it, preferably over the weekend. Take photographs before and after, including the relevant day's newspaper in each, although its probably only the after photo that may be necessary. Keep the photo and newspaper somewhere safe, if you sell, pass the them to the buyer. If you sell within four years, you may have to disclose the possibility that the fence is vunerable to "Planner Attack"

If you have a dropped kerb, keep in mind that a potential buyer may regard parking in the front garden as a valuable asset.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Nivag57 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am

Have you considered reducing the height of the fence and putting up a 1.0 metre high fence as this height would not normally require planning permission.
Nivag57

Postby arsie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:37 am

Good point from Nivag57.
What difference does 15" (0.4m) make? People can still see over the fence so there would be no difference to privacy?
Or maybe consider making the 1.0m to 1.4m trellis work so that you could easily conform if the Planners come calling.
arsie

Return to Fences