Weird fence issue with neighbour

Weird fence issue with neighbour

Postby JazzyJanEdith » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi - I am a newby! I hope you will be able to give some advice. Basically, I have a very odd next door neighbour.

Brief background info: He moved into his house 4 years ago. He wanted to "develop the property" - but this was a huge over-development and it went to the Planning Committee. We were invited to attend as interested parties and to raise our concerns. All councillors refused the application and it was also refused on appeal. He submitted a lesser project - which was approved.

Just before his first (rejected) plan went before the Planning Committee - he arrived at the premises before 6 am and started yanking out fencing which had been in-situ since the houses were built in the 1930s. He then tried to dig up my patio and trampled every plant in my garden. He then tried to erect fencing on our garden! I tried to explain to him that he should erect on his side of the border as this was his fence, at his cost and we had not agreed a shared cost on agreed party-line border. He was quite unpleasant and I had to get a solicitor.

Later on - during the course of his building work - I put up with scaffolding being erected on my land without permission and builders leering in on an elderly disabled person who was bed-ridden in rear bedroom. He then started to remove the wooden panels to create nuisance of building debris and building site to our garden during the summer months.

I have given the background as it is relevant. He has a history of removing fence panels for some reason. His latest antics are even weirder: he has started daubing paint on the fence panels and then moving the damaged panels to face the gardens of each neighbouring house! He has also placed cameras in his windows - monitoring the driveways and land of his neighbours and not his own land. His other neighbour (an elderly gentleman) tried to speak with him over this - but was subjected to verbal abuse. There have been some other inexplicable incidents which cannot be proven as they are not recorded on CCTV - such as attacks on some of my garden plants with weed-killer or similar substance. I tried speaking to the Anti-social team at the local council, but was told that "his fence - he can paint it and switch the panels around" - even though this action is simply being done to annoy and upset his neighbours!

What should we do. He is not the easiest person to speak to - but we would feel safer in our own homes if he was not doing this with his fencing! (Told you it's a weird one!) :?
JazzyJanEdith

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Weird fence issue with neighbour

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi Jazzy,

his actions do sound a bit odd, but nothing you describe would make me feel unsafe.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby COGGY » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi
Have you considered installing your own CCTV to protect your property? Then if he causes damage, tries to dig up your patio or sprays your plants you will have evidence to produce to the police. At present it would be your word against his.
Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby JazzyJanEdith » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Yes - I have CCTV system. However, I had camera set up to monitor my driveway as this was probably the most vulnerable area. It never crossed my mind that someone would deliberately throw weed killer over the front garden boundary like that! This is the only person I have had a problem with - and this is only because 15 councillors rejected an OTT Planning Application. I simply sent a letter to address my worries about losing 75% of natural daylight into my entire home and what could be resolved.

My CCTV picked up the splashings from what appears to be more than one attack (and timing is consistent with filling bucket at rear and carrying to front) in early morning. He was just off camera - unfortunately!

Problem appears to be that he owns the fence. He can remove the fence panels and invade the gardens of both his neighbours - according to the police. I have installed 2 more cameras - one to protect the front garden and one to protect the back garden - and I have put up huge signs as well. There is a little more to this problem as this person has made malicious calls on a Pay As U Go phone to my house (his voice on the phone) plus other stuff - which are difficult to prove as there is no actual traceable proof. I am just hoping my extra cams will deter now.

Thanks for replies! :)
JazzyJanEdith

Postby despair » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:22 pm

In your shoes I would be installing a solid 2 metre high fence tight up to his and block him out
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi JazzyJanEdith,

He can remove the fence panels and invade the gardens of both his neighbours - according to the police.

just what are you saying here? to press you said he was daubing his panels then reversing them so the daubings faced his neighbours.

has he been "invading" your garden at all? (apart from the initial attempt to pinch a bit which ended with the altercation)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences