New Fence - Neighbours Existing Trellis

New Fence - Neighbours Existing Trellis

Postby Pepsicola » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi,

I know this is mentioned a lot but I would just welcome some thoughts from others here.

A week ago I had a new 6ft closeboard fence with concrete gravel boards & posts installed, previously it was 3ft fence and my neighbour who I have had good relations with for the past 10 years previously had a trellis attached to it which has honeysuckle growing over it, which looked very nice but the original fence was bowing and looking shabby and I decided to get all new fencing put in. She did mention to me that she wanted the trellis saved beforeI had the fence done and I told this to my fence installer which was fine. After the fence was installed he happened to see my neighbour to speak to and let her know that even though the trellis & honeysuckle were fine to keep he didn't really recommend her attaching it to my fence and certainly not for the first week while it was settling in. Now exactly one week later I have come home to find that she has had it attached to my fence and a nail is protruding through my side of the fence, I am feeling rather sick as I have paid the best part of a £1000 for the fencing to be done and would have thought that she would have the common sense to realise that the trellis is too heavy with the honeysuckle all over it and would maybe have had it re-installed as a standalone piece instead. My question is I really feel like I need to approach her about how I am feeling but I am worried that she might think I gave her carte blanche to attach it as it was originally attached to the old fence which she only had erected for privacy which she now has in abundance, but don't want to fall out as I have had bad neighbours in the past and like a quiet life. Am I being too pernickety here?
Pepsicola

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: New Fence - Neighbours Existing Trellis

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi pepsicola,

I am worried that she might think I gave her carte blanche to attach it as it was originally attached to the old fence

I think you not telling her not to attach it when she told you she intended on keeping it and you having your contractor tell her to wait a week before attaching it might have given her the impression she could attach it...

which she only had erected for privacy which she now has in abundance

she has obviously grown to enjoy the honeysuckle for more than it's original purpose - you must see that is quite understandable? (rhetorical)

but don't want to fall out... ...and like a quiet life

just go and have a friendly chat about what to do - if you don't want it attached just talk it through and I'm sure you'll find a solution that suits both of you.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Pepsicola » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

Hi MacadamB53,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I spoke to my neighbour last night who was very apologetic and offered to get her gardener/handyman to take out the nail, which i've refused as he could make it worse than it already is, I think your right she thought it was ok because my fencer had told her to wait a week but then told me he didn't think it wise to attach it at all, I should have explained to her straight away that I wasn't happy about it being attached again, but was relying on her common sense to have it put up as a standalone trellis. I have left it now but if in the future the fence panel bows and has to be replaced then the trellis will definitely not be reinstated.

Regards Pepsicola
Pepsicola

Postby arborlad » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Pepsicola wrote:........... it was originally attached to the old fence which she only had erected for privacy ...........

You seem to be saying the original fence was hers?

There are many reasons for erecting fences, privacy, security, keeping children/pets in or out etc., but the main reason is to act as a boundary feature, where they should be erected at the limit of the owners land.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Pepsicola » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

it was originally attached to the old fence which she only had erected for privacy ...........

No I'm referring to the trellis which she originally asked me if she could put up for privacy. It's is my boundary fence so is up to me to repair or replace.
Pepsicola

Postby despair » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:43 pm

If i had installed a brand new closeboard fence i sure would not be allowing the neighbour to attach trellis or honeysuckle
despair

Postby Sudynim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:22 pm

I suppose it depends on the neighbour you have, and the relationship you want. If I was replacing a fence and I knew that a neighbour had enjoyed growing honeysuckle on their side, I would talk to them and arrange a plan to take it down carefully and then reattach it. I would ensure that the structure was strong enough for a few kg of foliage, and I would probably select panels with a pleasing trellis top.

I know I don't have to do this, but neither do they have to help push my car out of the snow or housewatch when I'm on holiday. I have good neighbours, and taking a little care to keep them happy is a pleasure.
Sudynim

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences