Car on my property

Car on my property

Postby BDi_Chopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 am

Good morning everyone,
What a fantastic forum this is.
Looking at some of the issues on here, mine is clearly minor but worth airing perhaps?

My neighbours, with which I have no issues and before our recent extension were very good friends, have recently complained that a car I have parked down the side of my house is too high / "would be something she would expect of a council house."

When the extension was being done, I took the opportunity to put proper concrete down the side of the house, giving me the option of putting in a shed or small garage. I removed two sheds, both of which were around 2m to the roof I would imagine (one was there before I moved in).

I had to replace the shared fence with one that was properly installed i.e. concrete posts / gravel trays etc. etc. because of the amount of rain water that wouId cascade off this concrete. It was agreed with the neighbour that we would get it done as the other one was falling down and rotten and clearly it would be a much nicer looking fence - which it is. I even gave them the good side. I have not received any money.

I am considering putting in extra gravel trays (as they would just slide in with the panels on top) to raise the fence as it is ever so slightly lower than it was but I am gobsmacked that people can be so petty about something that is on my property.
I am, this morning, going to move the car as far from their line of sight as I can - as that is the kind of person I am. However, I would really like to know where we stand on this.

By the way, we are talking about a nice car here that I am just waiting to get picked up and sold... not a 20 year old "classic" rust bucket. All you can see is the roof bars from their perspective. They also park their old van on the road outside, which I have no issue with at all, but should be mentioned to get some context.

I am a very considerate neighbour in my opinion and am always conscious of my surroundings but now feel a bit bullied as this isn't the first time they have complained about stuff on my side of the fence, on my property.
Interestingly, I was just about to buy a shed. I am guessing that won't go down well either.

TIA
BDi_Chopper

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Car on my property

Postby span » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 am

Do what you like. Move your car whilst laughing at their pettiness. Its their problem, not yours unless you take it on yourself. Worry about something more worthy of your time.
span

Postby BDi_Chopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes it does, which I why I haven't confronted them yet.
I am the bigger man here. I am not the one banging on people's doors.
BDi_Chopper

Postby pudding » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Personally, I'd leave the car where it is until collected by whoever is picking it up to be sold, unless there is something in your deeds saying you can't park chavvy cars on your drive. I am assuming it is on a drive, and not just sitting in your front garden along with an old fridge and some rusty radiators? :wink: :)
pudding

Postby BDi_Chopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 pm

It's not a chavvy car (but I know what you mean!)

It's behind the gates, down the side of my house.
BDi_Chopper

Postby COGGY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:18 pm

H

Sorry you have difficult neighbours. It would seem that however you try to please them you will not succeed and they will just push for more. I totally agree with the advice you have been given. Ignore the neighbour. Leave your car where you have parked it on your property. Don't spend more money on the fence. If it is at the side of the house presumably you will not benefit from making it higher. Read the advice on the fence section, i.e. do not permit the neighbour to attach anything to your fence. When you see your neighbour, smile, feel sorry for them and discuss the weather. If they complain about the car do not enter into discussion, be ready with a noncommital response. You could tell her your best friends live in a council house. :roll:

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby BDi_Chopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks Coggy.
Like I've said, I do try and be as good a neighbour as possible - hence not chasing money and giving them the nice side of the fence.
In times like this I am tempted to slide out the panels and turn them around though.
I even got my builders to jet wash the pavements, not smoke anywhere in the vicinity, no music and no swearing. Not sure what else I can do really.
BDi_Chopper

Postby COGGY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi
You have most likely given the impression that you are a pushover and have neighbours who will take advantage.

Coggy
COGGY

Postby BDi_Chopper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah, not just neighbours..
Too nice.
BDi_Chopper

Postby despair » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 am

Your neighbours are like one of mine nothing you ever do will suit them ..if you acceed to one grumble /complaint they will simply find another to niggle about
stop being a nice pushover....turn the panels around,put in a shed to a max of 4metres at ridge or 3 metres if flat roofed
and just ignore their petty stupidity

some neighbours need to get a life and have bigger problems to occupy their lives
despair

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 am

Yeah, the shed thing is something I have to do anyway. I thought it was only 2.5 metres if pushed up against the fence?
BDi_Chopper

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 am

Hi BDi_Chopper,

My neighbours, with which I have no issues and before our recent extension were very good friends, have recently complained that a car I have parked down the side of my house is too high / "would be something she would expect of a council house."

define what you mean by "complained" - do you actually mean "passed comment"? "expressed opinion"? or did they say they were going to take action?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 am

Knocked on the door and had a go.
I doubt they can take any action other than alledgedly saying they would put a piece of wood on the top of the fence so they can't see the roof bars. I've moved the car away from the fence now, about 2 metres I guess.
BDi_Chopper

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 am

Hi BDi_Chopper,

so, a very good friend of yours knocks on your door and tells you what they think of your car.

I wonder if there's more to this than meets the eye...

how did you getting the extension go down with them?
did you tell them about getting the fence?

you mention laying concrete for a shed/garage - so were you parking the car on the drive (do you have a drive? do they have a drive?) or this new location?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

Yes, there is of course two sides to every story.
Extensions, by their very nature, are always going to cause some issues.
My builders were exceptional though, so we all tried our best to keep the noise and mess to a minimum. At the end of the day, any inconvenience is an inconvenience for them as they are not gaining anything from it. I do understand that. I do also understand that improving your house / drive / garden is good for the whole neighbourhood - there's nothing like an unkempt garden / tatty house (when you spend all your money on your own) blighting said neighbourhood.
It is all dependent on what sort of person you are I guess. I would have no issues with anything that my neighbours do pretty much. Others like to kick off.
It shows what kind of person I am, I think, by even bothering posting on here. I doubt I have broken any laws at all - in fact - it is almost laughable that someone is complaining about a vehicle on my land.
My original question was, were do I stand with the vehicle. I have no doubt there will always be some griping going on. After all, neighbours get jealous.
TBH, I'm going to put the biggest sheds in that I want now. I wasn't going to do that, I was going to get one custom built to keep below the fence with a sloping roof - at great expense.
I also doubt that the council would even entertain a formal complaint. If they do - what can they do? make me move it..... which will result in it being parked in the road, which I have always tried to avoid wherever possible. Not that any of the neighbours do.
In regard to your question about the fence. The old one was falling down. It is a shared fence. We agreed I would put a new fence in and they would make a contribution. That didn't happen. It's a professionally built fence, it's about 100 times better than the one that was in there. It will never fall down and was expensive. I've not muttered a single thing to them about money. Perhaps I will now.
I have a drive also. We aren't talking about a two-up two-down here.
There will always be opinions - and you are right to question what the breakdown has been.
In regard to being friends, we were until we built the extension. That kind of sums it up really.
I am happy with discussing the weather with them and nothing more for as long as I live there. There are a lot more important things I need to get on with frankly, but, as discussed, I still try not to upset anyone.
Thank you for your time replying :)
BDi_Chopper

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences