Car on my property

Re: Car on my property

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:11 am

Hi BDi_Chopper,

I speak from personal experience when I say some folk change for the worse when something happens on their doorstep which they cannot control - one perfectly good and decent neighbour only acknowledges me under pressure now I've installed a new fence between our properties which is lower in height (at their request, but they hadn't appreciated how much privacy my previous fence afforded them), another neighbour blanks me because she now has to look at a garden wall rather than the privet hedge which once stood there (we had passers by remarking on the fine quality of the wall during the build and strangers knocking on my door asking for the builders details to get themselves a quote for work, but the nice lady in the near-derelict property opposite considers it an "eyesore").

I bet your builders told you "this kind of thing always happens" and I'm afraid they were right.

Kind regards, Mac
PS build whatever size shed you need - don't go getting one that's too big out of spite
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:16 am

re: Shed. I had always planned to get a shed and a bike shed. I won't do anything out of spite, I'm not like that.

You are right about the builders telling me. They mentioned a dozen times. They tried telling calling around to the neighbours a few times but just got blanked.
Just gotta get on with things. Nobody is perfect!

People concentrate on this bad things people have done / alledged to have done.
BDi_Chopper

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am

Hi BDi_Chopper,

People concentrate on this bad things people have done / alledged to have done.

it's just a perceived wrong - if I asked your neighbour to tell me what was up they'd not mention anything "bad" at all.

in order to avoid a problem between you both in the near future could you explain why you think the fence is "shared"?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:33 am

All the fences are shared (according to the deeds).
It's annoying and just causes problems.
I have now idea why whomever did the original plots did this tbh.
I now have a spanking new fence one side that I completely paid for, an average one another side, which I paid too much for but paid it anyway when asked to and one that I've repaired several times at my own expense at the back by putting concrete posts in.
All in all, I've paid for all the fencing and share all.
Very odd indeed. But, playing the long game, I really don't mind paying up if it stops arguments / friction.
Of course, nothing will.
BDi_Chopper

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:39 am

Hi BDi_Chopper,

All the fences are shared (according to the deeds).

that's not really giving us much to go on...

what do the "deeds" say on the matter?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby BDi_Chopper » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:44 am

I'll dig out the paperwork when I get home.
They are all shared, that is all I remember really.
BDi_Chopper

Postby COGGY » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi

Our son and daughter-in-law are in the process of having a huge extention built onto a property which formerly belonged to my aunt, so I know a lot of history. One neighbour was continually complaining about the mess, the noise, the radio the builders used, etc. When I was there one day I said jokingly to him that it was just as bad when their extention was built (it was so long ago I can't remember to be honest and it was extended before the present owners lived there). Then I laughed and said we were all showing our age by complaining and he agreed with me. He has not complained since - he and his wife now ignore son and wife. The funny part is that our grandson's dog does not like these people and barks at them. :roll:

He was helpful to me when my aunt died and I was responsible for selling the property and kept an eye on security for me . :)

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby Sudynim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:13 pm

It's likely that the neighbours are feeling a bit miffed. Disruption from the building works, and maybe some envy. As other have said, this sort of thing sometimes leads to this sort of thing.

I'll just say that a peaceful neighbour relationship is like good health, very easy to take for granted until you lose it. And neighbour trouble has a corrosive cost to everyone's wellbeing, it ruins the calm and safety of our homes, and it is very expensive. Read some of the discussions here, and your hair would fall out...!

So my advice is to go the extra mile - bend over backwards with gestures of neighbourliness. Don't worry about who's fault it is that the neighbour relationship has become awkward, take the initiative and repair it.
Sudynim

Postby COGGY » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Good advice and well worth putting into practice. Unfortunately with the best will in the world sometimes it does not work. I definitely agree with the comments regarding bad neighbour relationships. A good neighbour is a blessing and as in friendship it is necessary to put the effort into making it work. However sometimes it is really best to move on and accept that things are not working out. We were happy for our neighbours to get planning permission for a large two storey extention. When we applied for permission for a single storey extention however it was completely different. The comments they put on the Planning web site were unbelievable. An example is "Even if such a window was of the thickest opaque possible and non-opening, I would still object to it". Another "Why can't the building move over so as not to disturb us". The building in question is approx 10 feet from our boundary, and the neighbours have two windows opening over said boundary over our garden. We did get our permission however.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Fences