I have just moved in

I have just moved in

Postby foos » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi all
I have just moved into a new house and have a 'party Fence' between myself and my neighbour.
I know this is shared 50/50 with the neighbour, however last week I came home to find they had attached fence posts directly onto mine via my d-bar/cross member instead of using the upright posts that are into contrete to attach their own cross members. I am a bit concerned as it means that there is very little spacing for air circulation as they have only left an inch space between my panels and theirs.
I have explained this to them and my husband who is a joiner has explained regarding them essentially making the fence a solid piece of wood that would be more likely to come down in strong winds.
I am also a bit annoyed as the owners father did it whilst I was at work and never even asked or mentioned that they were going to do this.
My solicitor can give me no advise other then do not fall out with your neighbour.
Has anyone here got any experience of this? Are they allowed to attach directly to your panels or should they have double skinned the fence and made it more resilience to wind?
Advice would be greatly received !! :D
foos

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: I have just moved in

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi foos,

...a 'party Fence' between myself and my neighbour...
...this is shared 50/50 with the neighbour...
...attached fence posts directly onto mine...
...my d-bar/cross member...
...they have only left an inch space between my panels and theirs...

Are they allowed to attach directly to your panels?

either it's 'a party Fence' and "shared 50/50 with the neighbour" or it's yours - please clarify.

Kind regards, Mac
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacadamB53

Postby Sudynim » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Changes to a party fence should be agreed, but your solicitor is right to urge caution.
Sudynim

Postby foos » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:26 am

It is shared but they have modified without any discussion
Hopefully that makes better sense
I am concerned re the way it has been modified
I fear it will end up coming down as all the weight of their panels they have attached are on the panels which face into my garden
Hopefully a better explanation
foos

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 am

Hopefully a better explanation

Hi,

So there are sturdy posts (shared), with panels (shared) in between? Your neighbour has attached extra panels (his) directly onto the existing panels (shared)?

From what you say, I believe the extra panels do not increase the wind resistance of the original panes, so should not increase the risk of the fence being blown over. ???

You seem to be concerned that the weight of the new panels (his) may be more than the existing panels (shared) can support. Hmmm! If the fence falls down, your neighbour will need to unattach the new panels (his) from the existing panels (shared) and attach them to the upights, meaning that his panels will form a shared fence. I don't think you can force him to to do anything.

Are his panels long enough to span the gap between the posts?

Your problem will start when you get a dog. If the fence falls down, your neighbour may blame the dog. Whatever, your responsibility will be to ensure that your dog stays on your property. If the dog is able to clear a 2 metre high fence with a single bound, that is your problem.

Your neighbour has created a precedent by doubling up the fence panels. He can scarcely complain if you do the same. Me? I would nail long "treated" thick planks to the uprights, might even consider Jacured timber (£££), and abandon any interest in the existing and new panels.

I once owned a GSD censored that just walked through a fence made from feather edge boards on Arris rails. My mother saw a cat, tied the dog's chain round a post. Dog saw the cat .. twang! The cat took to the nearest tree.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

Hi foos,

It is shared

thanks for clarifying.

any chance you could let us know how you came to that conclusion? (misunderstandings are not unheard of...)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences