Who owns hedge?

Who owns hedge?

Postby ceevo56 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:08 pm

The hedge that divides me from my neighbour is stated in his deeds that he must maintain the hedge which is marked by T's. There is no mention who owns it though there is nothing on my deeds either. How do we decide who owns it?
Many thanks
ceevo56

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Who owns hedge?

Postby mr sheen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:17 pm

The owner of a hedge is often difficult to determine exactly. The person who bought the plants and planted them on their own land is the clearest owner or their successor in title, after that the next likely owner is the owner of the land on which the hedge is planted. However, in the case of a boundary hedge the owner may be indicated on the deeds but in many cases both sides may 'claim' to own the hedge in which case all evidence would need to be considered but he true owner may never be determined without giving the task to a court and a judge.
mr sheen

Re: Who owns hedge?

Postby mr sheen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 am

PS If the hedge is mentioned in his deeds but not in yours, chances are he owns it.
mr sheen

Return to Fences