Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
MrsHoover wrote:To Mac

Thanks for your reply - she's very diligent about maintaining her home, but as she lives on a pension so clearly doesn't have disposal income and lives on a tight budget and is worried about possibly having to replace this fence again.

I haven't "painted" her as anything - she is in her mid 80's and finds this discord with her neighbours upsetting - particularly so after already having issues with their tree causing subsidence.

I am just trying to find out information for her - to help her if I can - to get her neighbours not to attach things to her fence. They have been asked politely not too, but this obviously isn't working.

Hi MrsHoover,

I don't think of your aunt as a "bad guy" - far from it.

like I said, the law is on her side insofar as if she didn't approve it they shouldn't do it.

what is being discussed is trespass - forget damage.

beyond resolving it between themselves - or through a mediator - the next step is taking it to court to gain an injunction.

however, if there's one thing judges do not like spending their limited (and publicly funded) time on it's trivial matters which this appears to be.

ask her this: if nextdoor moved out and you moved in would she tell you not to attach your plants?

if the honest and considered answer is yes then you need to stand by her and try something like Rowan's cunning plan.
if the honest and considered answer is no then she needs to realise how petty and trivial she is being.

Kind regards, Mac


Thanks for your reply - honestly, she would tell me off for tying a plant to her fence - she's been putting me in my place since I was a child, lol.
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby stufe35 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Out of interest when did the g.i.t.s. Plant the tree to purposefully cause agrivation to your aunt ?

I can just picture the scene..."my goodness john that middle aged lady next door is really annoying....I know let's plant a tree, in about 20 years time it's roots will have grown enough to cause subsidence to her house , and she'll be about eighty by then, it will really stress her."

I just can't make it add up.
stufe35
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi MrsHoover,

she would tell me off for tying a plant to her fence

right, and is that because she thinks it'd damage the fence? because it's in her nature to find fault? or because she prizes her fence? (or some other reason?)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:26 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi MrsHoover,

she would tell me off for tying a plant to her fence

right, and is that because she thinks it'd damage the fence? because it's in her nature to find fault? or because she prizes her fence? (or some other reason?)

Kind regards, Mac


Because she would worry that it will end up damaging the fence - along with other items being nailed/screwed into the fence panels and posts (like the washing line).
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby mr sheen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 pm

MrsHoover wrote:ac


Thanks for your reply - honestly, she would tell me off for tying a plant to her fence - she's been putting me in my place since I was a child, lol.[/quote]

So a feisty sort .......

Perhaps she needs someone to calm down the dispute and help her get things in perspective.....
A fence....few bits of wood!
mr sheen
 
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 pm

stufe35 wrote:Out of interest when did the g.i.t.s. Plant the tree to purposefully cause agrivation to your aunt ?

I can just picture the scene..."my goodness john that middle aged lady next door is really annoying....I know let's plant a tree, in about 20 years time it's roots will have grown enough to cause subsidence to her house , and she'll be about eighty by then, it will really stress her."

I just can't make it add up.


I have not said that the did it purposefully. Anyone, with any sense, looking at the tiny little front garden (which is more of yard) would know not to plant trees in it.

If I had been dumb enough to have made such an error, the moment I had been told by my neighbour that it was causing damage to their property, then I would have removed it myself. I would also feel terrible that I had damaged another person property - and that that person would also have to pay out a £1,000 surcharge. Its just common decency isn't it?
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby stufe35 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:20 pm

And when did they plant the tree ?

Have the neighbours fastened anything else to the fence since the day they were politely asked not to ?
Last edited by stufe35 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stufe35
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby COGGY » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi

It is common decency to respect other people's property; also to treat others with respect. It sounds as though your aunt is a person who likes her own way. She may be in the right but we all have to compromise and accept things we do not like. It is possible your aunt has unintentionally done things which annoy her neighbour. Does she have friends and outside interests, or is her house and garden the centre of her world? You say she puts you in your place. You are an adult and entitled to respect and consideration from her.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi MrsHoover,

Because she would worry that it will end up damaging the fence

someone needs to get through to her that there's no need to worry - it's string.

what she needs to worry about, if she can't afford a new fence any time soon, is making sure the fence gets looked after otherwise it ain't gonna last.

maybe she knows she's not looked after it but prefers to apportion the blame on others - she blamed the last fence on the de minimis actions of the neighbour after all.

I would not tolerate the washing line though...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby stufe35 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Yes I agree mac it's snip snip for the washing line !

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its woes...it only empties today of its strength.

Your aunt is a very lucky lady, at eighty years old her biggest worry appears to be a couple of plants tied to a fence she can't even see. She has you looking out for her.

Tell her to stop worrying about the fence and get out and have some fun. Perhaps show her some of today's world news and people that really have got worries.

I know old people do worry about trivial stuff, I remember my grandad watching every car that came up 'his' cul de sac, and finding fault or worrying what it was up to. He hated kids playing in the street. Yet he had had 3 kids of his own...I presume he was a kid himself at some point ! Try and get your aunt to see this. Her neighbours are not real trouble makers from what you have written here....look at some of the old threads on here ....you will see stories of real threats, harassment bullying and assaults.
Last edited by stufe35 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stufe35
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi MrsHoover,

another way of dealing with it is for her to swallow her pride, or whatever it is, and inform the neighbours she's had a change of heart and they can tie plants, attach trellis with screws, attach washing line (was this used as a washing line btw?) as she won't be replacing the fence when it fails.

then when it comes to the end of the fence's life she can remove it and stick a few stakes in the ground to mark the edge of her land.

time for them to have their own fence...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6023
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 pm

stufe35 wrote:And when did they plant the tree ?

Have the neighbours fastened anything else to the fence since the day they were politely asked not to ?


Don't know when they planted the tree - only that is caused the subsidence.

Yes, they have fastened things to the fence after asking not too.
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:24 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi MrsHoover,

Because she would worry that it will end up damaging the fence

someone needs to get through to her that there's no need to worry - it's string.

what she needs to worry about, if she can't afford a new fence any time soon, is making sure the fence gets looked after otherwise it ain't gonna last.

maybe she knows she's not looked after it but prefers to apportion the blame on others - she blamed the last fence on the de minimis actions of the neighbour after all.

I would not tolerate the washing line though...

Kind regards, Mac


I understand what you mean about the string on its own - however, since they have also recently been nailing/screwing other things onto the fence as well - which we obviously cannot see what they are, the weight etc ... just the screw/nail coming through from their side into hers.

The fence is currently in good order - she bought a decent one, which was properly erected - she is not looking to apportion blame, she just wants it to be undamaged.
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi

It is common decency to respect other people's property; also to treat others with respect. It sounds as though your aunt is a person who likes her own way. She may be in the right but we all have to compromise and accept things we do not like. It is possible your aunt has unintentionally done things which annoy her neighbour. Does she have friends and outside interests, or is her house and garden the centre of her world? You say she puts you in your place. You are an adult and entitled to respect and consideration from her.

Kind regards
Coggy


Wow - that's quiet an assumption to make about someone. She hasn't done anything to annoy her neighbours. She is polite and respectful - she is from a generation which was brought up very much to be like that.

I made that comment about her putting me in my place in a half-joking manner - anyone who has elderly relatives of that age will know all too well how I meant it. It was in response to a question as to whether if I lived next door to her, would she ask me to remove any ties for plants from her fence - which she would. She is not trying to cause problems with her neighbours at all.

She is perfectly happy and has a full and active life. In fact, for her years, she is in remarkably good health, with all her faculties.

If anyone has anything that they can add providing any useful information, links etc, then I'd love to hear from you - otherwise, please can we stop the character assassination. There seems to have been a number of people posting who have been making assumption and judgements about my aunt, which really isn't the purpose of my post. Thanks.
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Re: Neighbour attaching plant ties & washing line to fencing

Postby MrsHoover » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi MrsHoover,

another way of dealing with it is for her to swallow her pride, or whatever it is, and inform the neighbours she's had a change of heart and they can tie plants, attach trellis with screws, attach washing line (was this used as a washing line btw?) as she won't be replacing the fence when it fails.

then when it comes to the end of the fence's life she can remove it and stick a few stakes in the ground to mark the edge of her land.

time for them to have their own fence...

Kind regards, Mac



Yes, that is something she could 'try' but I doubt that she would, she would see it as her responsibility as the home-owner to maintain her fencing, which was why she replaced the whole fence previously, and did not patch or repair it, as her neighbours had/have young children and she was thinking their safety etc.

And before anyone starts - as judging by some of the posts on here, someone is bound too! - she doesn't dislike children, in fact she spent her entire career in maternity and helped bring thousands of babies into the world.
MrsHoover
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Fences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests