damaged fence

damaged fence

Postby sarron » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:39 am

Hi all

My neighbor has 2 dogs which have damaged 6 of my fence panels. My neighbour rents the property next door to me. She was advised of the damage, but chose to ignore the short note put thru her letterbox or any verbal communication.
She did however erect a chicken wire fence at one end of her small garden to prevent her dogs getting to 5 of my panels, but this leaves 4 of my panels still exposed. I initially removed these and then reinstalled them.

However her dogs have now began to damage these panels too.
I have contacted the owner of the neighbouring property which is rented and the letting agents but generally come up against a wall of apathy.

The person who rents the property next door admits her dogs have damaged my fence but offers no apology or remit for it.
She also advises she will "do me" if I remove my panels again though I know she cant.
However I dont feel I should have to remove my fence for fear of it being constantly damaged.

If I advise the police can I prosecute for criminal damage?
Or is this a civil matter.

The fence by the way is purely mine.

Thanks, Keith
YOUR HEART IS FREE, HAVE THE COURAGE TO FOLLOW IT.
sarron

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: damaged fence

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:21 am

Hi sarron,

My neighbor has 2 dogs which have damaged 6 of my fence panels.

what's your definition of 'damaged'?

(this might help us understand both the response you've met and the best way forward...)

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:24 am

arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby arsie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:13 pm

I too am curious what damage terriers are able to do/have done? Terriers like digging, is that the problem?
arsie

Postby sarron » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Ok

How did u know they were terriers?
Interesting.

Amway, the terriers in question have jumped into, chewed pieces off and made holes in the bottoms of the panels, the panels being the old vertilap type.
They do this as my neighbours garden is very small, theyre confined to a small kitchen in her house most of their waking lives due to my neighbour being out, and taken a walk about once a year.

The panels damaged now have no bottom supports due to her dogs.

Hope that helps.
sarron

Postby arsie » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 pm

sarron, it states terriers on the other thread, to which arborlad posted a link.

Terriers don't need walks but they are quite good territorial guard dogs with a sharp yap and they do like to dig. At the boundaries of their territory would be favourite, to check for and deter intruders ... Dogs left alone often damage their environment as they are not really happy left alone all day; so there might be an element of protest in their behaviour. This, you can do nothing about. Often dog owners have selective blindness about how they treat their dogs - and the behaviour that often results directly from this treatment.

I know you think they should take their own steps, but short of taking the owner/tenant to court for damaging your fence - with great stress and no certainty of outcome - you need to consider carefully what to do next.

The long game might be to take down your fence (now damaged irreparably?) and for them to contain the dogs themselves - which they are legally obliged to do. With terriers, that may require something like a rabbit-proof wire mesh fence dug into the ground for a foot or so. I did that on a National Trust weekend once. It was hard work but free board and lodgings!

Short of them agreeing to contribute to the cost of a fence with concrete gravel boards (but these dogs might still dig under this) I would not replace your own fence just yet.
arsie

Postby sarron » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

However, I wished to know whether or not I could make a criminal damage complaint, thats all.

As for terriers not needing walks,ALL dogs need walks/ stimulation, in order to function correctly both physically and mentally.

Any dog thats pretty much normal regardless of breed needs walking/ excercise.

To never walk a dog is a prison sentence for the dog.

I thought this Fórum was garden law not animal welfare but there u go.

Been a dog owner for 23 yrs, all dogs need walking.
sarron

Postby ukmicky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:16 pm

We deal with everything on this forum.We could even probably help with directions to the lost city of Atlantis if u wanted . :D

As for criminal damage its a remote possibility and i doubt the police would want to know as it would be a very challenging case to prosecute.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi sarron,

I'd take a foot off the height of each panel and install concrete gravel boards - cheaper than legal route.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 am

Dogs vary. A collie is a different from a terrier, which can be active enough without long walks - see google. The problem here is the owner, not the dogs. My opinion on small terriers is just my opinion. Your opinion versus mine on the dogs is not going to get the problem solved, which is to do with the owners and your fence being chewed. A case for criminal damage is hard to prove. Replace your fence if you like but concrete gravel boards won't stop terriers from digging. Your call; but I would do nothing but remove my damaged fence ...
arsie

Postby sarron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

The owner of the dogs is the problem not the dogs, absolutely right.

Just to reitterate, the dogs arent digging, they just go ballistic at the slightest thing when out for what amounts to 10 collective minutes a day on the postage stamp sized garden next door, and jump into and bite/ scratch at the panels.

Concrete gravel boards could be worth a look.

I could remove my fence panels, but this would be to the detriment of my own property.

That said, the neighbour would then have to provide means of keeping her dogs on her property.

Final say here, sorry, just my opinion, as well as most dog rescue centres and terrier clubs I know of, ALL dogs need walking/ stimulation excercise. Unless u have a couple of acres on the back garden of course.
sarron

Postby arsie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 am

From what you now describe it sounds like concrete gravel boards will do the trick. Agree all dogs need walking but some less than others. Sounds like these two are kept inside all day so no wonder they 'go ballistic'. Could be worse: we had neighbours with a dog-flap and we couldn't as much as step outside without the terrier going barking mad. I guess the landlord doesn't want his back door modified though hopefully (for his sake) the dogs are potty trained. Our Tibetan terrier can hold herself all day with ease.
arsie

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences