Sloping fence - Variable height on my side only

Sloping fence - Variable height on my side only

Postby robthack » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 pm

I want to put a wooden fence in front of my neighbors wall. The problem is that my land slopes downwards along the length of the fence. But does not on the neighbours side. This means that the height of the fence will be consistent on the neighbors side. But higher than 2m at the far end on my side.

The question is: Do I need planning permission as the height of the fence may exceed the 2m for part of its length on my side but will be less than 2m high at all points on his side.

Common sense would suggest that planning would not be required. But as the neighbor has a tendency to be hostile, I don't want to do anything that could be successfully challenged.

Thanks.
robthack

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Sloping fence - Variable height on my side only

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi robthack,

Common sense would suggest that planning would not be required.

I'd contest that assertion, and I fancy your LPA will too.

that said I'd put the fence up and only apply for planning permission retrospectively if the LPA came acalling within four years (the fence would be considered a lawful development after four years).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Re: Sloping fence - Variable height on my side only

Postby arborlad » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm assuming this is a panel fence you are considering, they are never very good at accommodating sloping gardens.

Not a good idea to have two boundary features.

Has the neighbours land been raised and levelled?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Fences