Neighbour doesn't want to replace their fence

Re: Neighbour doesn't want to replace their fence

Postby arborlad » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 pm

treecol wrote:Spoke to my solicitor who confirmed no law re: who gets which face of the fence (no surprise there then)

The solicitor is correct, there is no law which dictates this, just convention which follows best practice. Best practice has the posts and rails on the owners side with the featheredge abutting the boundary with no gaps, doing it the other way round the neighbour is free to encroach into the gaps between posts.

she said just go ahead & she'll put it in writing so that if the difficult neighbour still won't enter into a sensible discussion, we can forward it to her.

Would be interested to see the contents of that letter, unless some damage was being done to the fence, she has limited authority on the matter.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi treecol,

are they new builds?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby despair » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 pm

If the UK built close board fences the way they do in New Zealand there would only be 1inch loss of land
better still we should use the galvanised metal fences they have in Australia and NZ
far better than the rot fence posts suffer here and a nice choice of colours too
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:29 am

despair wrote:If the UK built close board fences the way they do in New Zealand there would only be 1inch loss of land
better still we should use the galvanised metal fences they have in Australia and NZ
far better than the rot fence posts suffer here and a nice choice of colours too

Hi despair,

have you been on your jollies downunder? :)
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:15 am

despair wrote:If the UK built close board fences the way they do in New Zealand there would only be 1inch loss of land

Fence styles and methods of construction will evolve to suit local conditions and preferences as well as availability of materials, if the Kiwis have developed a better method of erecting a closeboard fence - I'm sure we'd all like to hear it.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby despair » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 pm

I have relatives down under in both OZ and NZ
and theres a lot fencers here could learn
despair

Postby stufe35 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm racking my brains to remember what the fences were like in Neighbours !

Come on despair pic required,

I'm not sure we could use their posts up here though....would the points not be on the wrong end ?

Cheers. Stu
stufe35

Postby arsie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Surely Stu the points made on posts here would be the same, logically ;)
arsie

Postby stufe35 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Anyone out there tried installing an Australian fence post here in the Uk ? Have you found its difficult because the point is on the wrong end ?

I know my uncle bought an audi in France once....and when he got back he found the steering wheel was on the wrong side.
stufe35

Postby arborlad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Despair, it's not the first time you have returned from foreign climes and made sweeping statements about how others are doing things better than us - your return from the States produced similar!

I think you are confusing the one inch gap mentioned by the OP, with something else.

All ground contact timber should have a stated service life, around 25-30 years, if you're not getting that, you're doing something wrong.

despair wrote:I have relatives down under in both OZ and NZ
and theres a lot fencers here could learn

Then teach..............vague allusions are not helpful.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arsie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Opinions are always welcome but if we could have a link to the products we could see for ourselves, despair and nothingtodowithme. Would that be possible please?
arsie

Postby despair » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 pm

If I had photos I would post them

but closeboard fence in NZ mean the 1 inch thick cross timbers are rebated into the back of the posts

thus by the time the feather edge is added on owners side there is only 1 inch loss of land and no one argues about good or bad side

The metal fences that are now popular are a flat modified version of coloured powder coated corrugated iron

so effectively 1 inch fwd and 1 inch backward of flat metal in any colour your choose erected on metal posts

I would choose them anyday over even the best "guaranteed " wood posts
Currently in middle of a dispute over some that are supposed to last 20 years but after just 5 years in metposts are rotted
despair

Postby arborlad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:46 pm

despair wrote:but closeboard fence in NZ mean the 1 inch thick cross timbers are rebated into the back of the posts

thus by the time the feather edge is added on owners side there is only 1 inch loss of land and no one argues about good or bad side

Nothing new there, rebating posts to take the rails has been discussed on here before and most agreed it was bad practice because it weakened the post.

The metal fences that are now popular are a flat modified version of coloured powder coated corrugated iron

so effectively 1 inch fwd and 1 inch backward of flat metal in any colour your choose erected on metal posts

Not very clear from your descripition but it sounds like box profile that you would find on agricultural/commercial buidings. I've been erecting powder coated fences in a variety of colours for about three decades now.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ukmicky » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 am

arborlad

Do you hand cut your mortise and tenon joints or use the galvanised brackets.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby arsie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:37 am

I agree arborlad the description is not good enough to help me, for one, picture this NZ fence. I did ask despair(ingly) for a link - the Internet usually has most products available world wide.

There are lots here but they look mostly of wood? http://www.fence.co.nz/fences.shtml
arsie

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences