Neighbour has placed gate on my property

Re: Neighbour has placed gate on my property

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:48 am

HackedOff2 wrote:Because it is right beside my back door/kitchen on the boundary line.
I was advised by a tradesman, and now the calor gas helpline engineer, that a metal pipe will corrode if not protected.
At some point there will be a gas leak and potentially an explosion - right next to my back door.
I think that having an unsafe gaspipe right next to my property is very much my business.

The pipework is likely to be copper so corrosion might not be an issue, but puncturing it certainly will.

Any attempt to move, modify or relocate that pipe must be done by a suitably qualified person - self help is not an option here.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby COGGY » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 am

Hi

I would be very interested if you are able to have the pipe moved. We have a similar problem.

Kind regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby ukmicky » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 pm

arborlad wrote:
HackedOff2 wrote:Because it is right beside my back door/kitchen on the boundary line.
I was advised by a tradesman, and now the calor gas helpline engineer, that a metal pipe will corrode if not protected.
At some point there will be a gas leak and potentially an explosion - right next to my back door.
I think that having an unsafe gaspipe right next to my property is very much my business.

The pipework is likely to be copper so corrosion might not be an issue, but puncturing it certainly will.

Any attempt to move, modify or relocate that pipe must be done by a suitably qualified person - self help is not an option here.

It would be if there is a valve that can be switched off and appropriate notice is given. And there will be a valve at the tank end.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:37 pm

ukmicky wrote:
arborlad wrote:

It would be if there is a valve that can be switched off and appropriate notice is given. And there will be a valve at the tank end.

Which would still leave a gas filled pipe - I reiterate: Any attempt to move, modify or relocate that pipe must be done by a suitably qualified person - self help is not an option here.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby HackedOff2 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:03 pm

I've spoken to the council about the gas pipe.
They weren't sure on the regulations, or who to check with, but are going to find out and get in touch with neighbour.
Will certainly report back when I have an answer.
HackedOff2

Postby arborlad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:00 pm

HackedOff2 wrote:I've spoken to the council about the gas pipe.
They weren't sure on the regulations, or who to check with, but are going to find out and get in touch with neighbour.
Will certainly report back when I have an answer.

Can you explain the circumstances surrounding this pipe, does it serve an outbuilding or something. It is not normal to have portable bottles and fixed pipework, is it possible there was once a static tank?
arborlad

arborlad

Postby HackedOff2 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:06 pm

The gas bottles feed her central heating. Pipe goes along the fence line and enters her house.
Both other neighbours also have gas bottles which feed tehir central heating.
Is pretty standard, my own gas bottles do the same, but is only for a hob, not central heating.
no one else appears to have attached theirs to a fence though, just their own property as their gas bottles are against the house wall rather than half way up the garden.
She's the only other middle terrace though; my extension means I have a side wall along my kitchen so the bottles are tucked down there out of the way.
HackedOff2

Postby HackedOff2 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Sorry just read further back replies.
I was advised that because it is metal, and has been burried in concrete, that it is likely to corrode over time.
Any burried pipe should be of a suitable material, or sheathed to protect it - which it isn't.

Also I would really appreciate some reference to point out that she can't attached anything (including her gas pipe) to my fence.
Does anyone have a link or reference to law/guidelines on the subject please?
Her letter says she can attach it, and she has has legal advice to that effect.
I know she can't paint, grow plants or attach trellis to my fence.
So can't imagine why her legal advise would tell her she can screw her gas pipe to my fence!
Would like to have somethign official to point her at in my response.
Many thanks
HackedOff2

Postby despair » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:27 pm

If its your fence its your property and she cannot attach anything whatever to it and she cannot havd received correct legal advice either

you can legally disconnect it and return it to her but must not damage it

you could even remove your fence if you want
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi HackedOff2,

I would really appreciate some reference to point out that she can't attached anything (including her gas pipe) to my fence

it's called a "nuisance" - a civil wrong which is defined as:

"any continuous activity or state of affairs causing a substantial and unreasonable interference with a claimant's land or his use or enjoyment of that land"

the claimant must show that the defendant's actions caused either physical damage or discomfort and inconvenience.

attaching gas pipes to a neighbour's fence is undoubtedly a nuisance.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 pm

despair wrote:you can legally disconnect it and return it to her but must not damage it

Be very very wary of this 'advice' - this is a live gas pipe we are talking about here, not a hanging basket.
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Fences