I accidentally damaged my neighbours fence - advice needed

I accidentally damaged my neighbours fence - advice needed

Postby Kevin Keri » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi All,

I really need some help from anyone in the know, so hoping you can help me.

I recently moved into a house where the garden had not been maintained. Everything was overgrown and the shed was a shell. I had some friends round to help me take down the fence (which was right next to my neighbours fence). Unfortunately one of the fence panels was damaged when one of the hammers went through the shed/fence.

I went round the next day and apologised and offered to pay for the damage. At the time they said we could split it as they know it was an old fence. A week later they came round and very aggressively told me that they don't believe it was an accident and that we should pay for all of it. She said she would call the police if we didnt pay. Although I insisted it was an accident, I agreed that we did cause the damage so of course would cover the costs.

I have paid them costs which included the fence, delivery, paint and labour to fit and paint it. This was a bit more than I was expecting,but again, didn't want to cause trouble with the new neighbours.

What I am wondering is if she can still get the police involved? I've never had any trouble with the law before and don't want the author neighbous on the street to think I am causing problems, so am a bit worried about all of this. The police were round at hers yesterday, though didnt come speak to us after (so it may be unrelated).

Any advice would be really appreciated? What are the rules/definitions of criminal damage/given that I paid the money within an hour of her asking me to, is the matter closed? Am really stressing about this so would value any input. Thanks!
Kevin Keri

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: I accidentally damaged my neighbours fence - advice need

Postby stufe35 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:46 pm

I think they'll lock you up and throw away the key !

Honestly stop worrying, you damaged someone's property accidentally and immediately made amends...what more could you do ?

To put things into perspective, my neighbour has made serious verbal threats to me (which I have recorded) , assaulted me and visitors to my property, made obscene gestures in front of my children...to name but a few things.....despite all that the police have done little more than have a quiet word with him.

Relax and enjoy your evening, if the police come round , make them a cup of tea and tell them your side of the story.
stufe35

Postby appledore » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Our neighbour cut our fence down with a chainsaw, and the police told him he shouldn't have done it and that was it.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby FrTed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm

I would have got a receipt or paid by cheque so there was a paper trail proving you have paid for it, but aside from that I would now just relax and forget about the whole matter.
Get on with making your garden and home yours, as said if plod do suddenly turn up, smile, be polite, make them a brew and sit down and tell them your side of the tale. I doubt it would go any further than that.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby mr sheen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Accidents happen.
You did the right thing, you were very honourable and stuck to your word....you are a good neighbour sir/ma'am, enjoy your new home with confidence.
mr sheen

Postby ukmicky » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 am

If what you told us you told the police they would have no cause to charge you with anything.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby span » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:23 am

And the good thing is, you've learned valuable information about that neighbours character. Now you can treat then appropriately.
span

Postby ukmicky » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 am

span wrote:And the good thing is, you've learned valuable information about that neighbours character. Now you can treat then appropriately.

That is probably the best thing that has come out of this.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby robj191269 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:46 am

span wrote:And the good thing is, you've learned valuable information about that neighbours character. Now you can treat then appropriately.

Just make sure you don't accidentally damage the neighbour with a hammer ;-)
robj191269

Postby Kevin Keri » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the reassuring words. It helped put my wife's and I mind at rest.

The neighbour has just removed the old fence panel and put the new one up. While doing so, they have cut down our tree that was nearby. Feeling pretty upset by it all as we said we agreed we were going to remove any overhanging branches next weekend. From what I understand they have the right to cut them down ourselves, but didn't think they could come into our garden and take down the whole tree (they left a stump about 2 foot high).

Unfortunately I was at work when this happened so couldn't stop them.
Kevin Keri

Postby span » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Kevin Keri wrote:Thanks for all the reassuring words. It helped put my wife's and I mind at rest.

The neighbour has just removed the old fence panel and put the new one up. While doing so, they have cut down our tree that was nearby. Feeling pretty upset by it all as we said we agreed we were going to remove any overhanging branches next weekend. From what I understand they have the right to cut them down ourselves, but didn't think they could come into our garden and take down the whole tree (they left a stump about 2 foot high).

Good grief, they really hate you already don't they? That's escalated quick!

Time to go on a war footing. Good luck!
span

Postby Janieb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:14 pm

I wonder what they were like with the previous owners of your house. 2 fences and an unkept garden may have had a reason.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby Collaborate » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Kevin Keri wrote:Thanks for all the reassuring words. It helped put my wife's and I mind at rest.

Time to make a call to your local police station, I think. that's criminal damage. He can hardly claim it's an accident.
Collaborate

Postby despair » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm

The neighbours really must think they can walk all over the OP
Sounds like they are real bullies
i suggest the OP needs to find out what happened with the former owner of their house and other neighbours pretty quick
could be the vendor misrepresented situation on SPIF
despair

Postby jdfi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Collaborate wrote:

Time to make a call to your local police station, I think. that's criminal damage. He can hardly claim it's an accident.

Plus one - wanton criminal damage from what you've said.
jdfi

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences