Erecting fence in garden to secure dog

Re: Erecting fence in garden to secure dog

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi cassiopeia,

I can't imagine anyone going through all this minefield to sue me, especially if they are breaking it themselves

if they or their predecessors have breached any part of the same covenant then they cannot sue you because to do so would be inequitable - something the law dislikes.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Sat May 16, 2015 6:23 pm

cassiopeia wrote:Unfortunately I need to build a fence larger than 3 feet since a large dog can surmount this easily when fully grown

Worth pointing out that anything you erect to keep your dog in, doesn't have to be relative to any boundary. A free standing kennel and run can be anywhere on your land, which might still breach the covenant.

There's a common misconception on this forum that if you own a dog you must have dog proof boundaries - which is simply not the case.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby cassiopeia » Sat May 16, 2015 7:33 pm

arborlad wrote:
cassiopeia wrote:Unfortunately I need to build a fence larger than 3 feet since a large dog can surmount this easily when fully grown

Worth pointing out that anything you erect to keep your dog in, doesn't have to be relative to any boundary. A free standing kennel and run can be anywhere on your land, which might still breach the covenant.

There's a common misconception on this forum that if you own a dog you must have dog proof boundaries - which is simply not the case.

Yeah, the other option would be to build a 3ft fence and just hope it doesn't jump over. Most dog people say it's not worth it, but least it avoids arguments. At the moment I have him on a 5m retractable leash, but he could potentially get tangled.
cassiopeia

Postby cassiopeia » Mon May 18, 2015 10:17 am

I think I will go ahead with the 5ft fence as it seems unlikely the neighbours can do anything, and others seem supportive. I've drawn in the approximate location of the proposed fence.
cassiopeia

Postby arborlad » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 am

You may wish to edit - your link contains more than fencing photos.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Collaborate » Mon May 18, 2015 10:40 am

Given those pictures, I'd be confident that the highway ends at the kerbside.
Collaborate

Postby cassiopeia » Mon May 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Please Remove
Last edited by cassiopeia on Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassiopeia

Postby cassiopeia » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Please remove
cassiopeia

Postby arsie » Mon May 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi cassiopeia,

from the pictures remaining I think it would be a shame to put up larchlap fences. The open aspect is pleasing. Could you not erect tall - say 5 foot or 1.5m - iron railings that you can see through but that would retain your dog. I know from work I have had done that 4 inches or less is the legally required gap on ironwork balconies for small children and, if that's your dog pictured, that gap should be enough to prevent escape I think.

Just an idea.

edit: and yes the blue and silver cars are parked in a turning head. Not supposed to be allowed.
arsie

Postby cassiopeia » Mon May 18, 2015 6:43 pm

arsie wrote:Hi cassiopeia,

from the pictures remaining I think it would be a shame to put up larchlap fences. The open aspect is pleasing. Could you not erect tall - say 5 foot or 1.5m - iron railings that you can see through but that would retain your dog. I know from work I have had done that 4 inches or less is the legally required gap on ironwork balconies for small children and, if that's your dog pictured, that gap should be enough to prevent escape I think.

Just an idea.

edit: and yes the blue and silver cars are parked in a turning head. Not supposed to be allowed.

I prefer a picket fence to a continuous one, but any effective fence will do. Do you think white or green would be best, or leave it just treated? This is the one I was thinking of. http://www.garden-fence-panels.co.uk/fe ... ckets.html

That dogs a 4 month pup and is part Alsation! Most dog people insist a 6 foot fence is the minimum, but I'm trying to compromise. I could try some Coyote rollers if it proves problematic. http://www.coyoteroller.com/

Incidentally I get people parking on the quadrant shaped lawn visible in the second picture, some of which is mine, but that's a different issue.

PS I asked for the picture to be removed, this morning but nothing has happened. It seems you can't edit after a time period.
cassiopeia

Postby cassiopeia » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

cassiopeia wrote:
arsie wrote:Hi cassiopeia,

Just an idea.

I prefer a picket fence to a continuous one, but any effective fence will do. Do you think a iron fence would be better than a picket one? A neighbour half jokingly suggested it was being turned into a prison camp, so I don't think he would be pleased with iron! Do you think it should painted white or green would be best, or leave it just treated? This is the one I was thinking of. http://www.garden-fence-panels.co.uk/fe ... ckets.html

That dogs a 4 month pup and is part Alsation! Most dog people insist a 6 foot fence is the minimum, but I'm trying to compromise. I could try some Coyote rollers if it proves problematic. http://www.coyoteroller.com/

Incidentally I get people parking on the quadrant shaped lawn visible in the second picture, some of which is mine, but that's a different issue.

PS I asked for the picture to be removed, this morning but nothing has happened. It seems you can't edit after a time period.
cassiopeia

Postby arsie » Mon May 18, 2015 7:56 pm

This http://www.midwestfence.com/ornamental-iron-fences/2-rail-ornamental-iron-fences/

edit: I don't think picket fences are very strong but they do let the light through which is good!
Last edited by arsie on Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsie

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi cassiopeia,

Most dog people insist a 6 foot fence is the minimum

who on earth are these "dog" people advising you?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 pm

who cares it is the OP's decision how to control her dog
arsie

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:02 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi cassiopeia,

Most dog people insist a 6 foot fence is the minimum

who on earth are these "dog" people advising you?

Kind regards, Mac

Opinion tends to vary between 4 and 7 feet, depending upon their tendency to wander. He isn't bad so far but can now struggle over the 1.5 ft brick wall between me and my neighbour when he comes out into his garden. He won't be left for long.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/16-gene ... fence.html

The requirement for open architecture and dog containment seem to be opposed since one of the worst things you can do is allow the dog to look out! I like the picket fence because it's less likely to blow over and I'm after something that is low maintenance (unlike hedges). Incidentally nearly all the dog rescue charities won't allow you to have a dog without a tall secure fence. That's why I got him privately.
cassiopeia

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences