Erecting fence in garden to secure dog

Re: Erecting fence in garden to secure dog

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:04 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi cassiopeia,

Most dog people insist a 6 foot fence is the minimum

who on earth are these "dog" people advising you?

Kind regards, Mac

Opinion tends to vary between 4 and 7 feet, depending upon their tendency to wander. He isn't bad so far but can struggle over a 1.5 ft brick wall when my neighbour comes out into his garden. He won't be left for long though and tends to stick to me.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/16-gene ... fence.html

The requirement for open architecture and dog containment seem to be opposed since one of the worst things you can do is allow the dog to look out! I like the picket fence because it's less likely to blow over and I'm after something that is low maintenance (unlike hedges). Incidentally nearly all the dog rescue charities won't allow you to have a dog without a tall secure fence. That's why I got him privately.
cassiopeia

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Collaborate » Tue May 19, 2015 10:17 am

This couple train my lab puppy. Scroll on to 4m30s of this crafts demonstration to see how high they can jump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YU1kH3f5_o
Collaborate

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

That's a fit dog. One could argue that a smaller fence might be enough to dissuade most dogs from getting out, if not actually prevent them escaping. If a healthy dog really wanted to get out, anything below 6ft wouldn't be enough.

Dogs don't need to jump large fences in one go, but can pull themselves up from the top ledge, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1uCQdtJFIk
cassiopeia

Postby arsie » Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Agreed.
Also the one at Crufts was trained to take a run up (at a 5 foot fence.) Fit dogs both though!

Putting the fence's horizontal arris rails on the other side would give less for the dog to gain a purchase, as would (vertical) iron railings. Good point about not being able to see - dogs don't jump or climb over fences if they don't have reason to do so. But their main senses of smell and hearing alert them, even if they can't see through the fencing. I still think you don't need as much as 6 foot provided a smooth surface is to the dog with no foot-holds for leverage.
arsie

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I was hoping the 5ft version of this fence painted grass green or white to match the window PVC wouldn't be too intrusive, or expensive. There is a 4ft version as well.

http://www.garden-fence-panels.co.uk/fe ... ckets.html
cassiopeia

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi cassiopeia,
Two questions,

1) is his claim credible, do deeds run out?
2) would I be able to build a larger fence than three feet?
I'm interested to know what alternative solutions you had in mind had the answer to Q2 been an unequivocal "no"?
These back to back houses are arranged a square block of four, with each house occupying one quarter of the square. This means they have a front and side garden but no back.
sorry for being nosey, but I'm also curious about why you've ruled out fencing off the side garden - which would leave the front with it's open aspect more or less intact...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 pm

cassiopeia wrote:I was hoping the 5ft version of this fence painted grass green or white to match the window PVC wouldn't be too intrusive, or expensive. There is a 4ft version as well.

http://www.garden-fence-panels.co.uk/fe ... ckets.html

I would be asking them (a) for a sample and (b) to confirm the suitability for containing a large possibly heavy dog. Picket fencing is decorative but may or may not be sturdy enough.

The rough finished wood and gaps - could put claws through to the arris rails - make me wonder whether this is something a fit dog could climb. Also, heaven forbid a dog getting impaled on the pointed ends. Ask your dog site for their views?
arsie

Postby arsie » Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:sorry for being nosey, but I'm also curious about why you've ruled out fencing off the side garden - which would leave the front with it's open aspect more or less intact...

The OP's plan earlier on this thread: proposed 1.5m fence round both side and front in blue.

So not ruled out at all, Mac - where do you get that from?
arsie

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

I like the idea of opening the only outside door and letting him out in the middle of the night or early morning rather than to have to walk in the pitch black over wet ground and round the side to open the gate. I was a bit nervous about the side garden altogether since he is out of sight there and next to a public walkway. It isn't a very big garden anyway, so expanding it to the front gives him a bit more room. The restricted fence plan I posted earlier isn't far off what you suggest, but extends from the side garden to the door.

The alternative was to build a 3ft fence, or keep him tied as in the photo, or stay out with him (he wouldn't be left for long anyway), or even move house, although that's an expensive option. A neighbour who isn't too pleased about a fence thought I wouldn't need one at all because I could train him. Right!

Perhaps I should use a rounded version of the fence.
Last edited by cassiopeia on Tue May 19, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassiopeia

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi cassiopeia,

I like the idea of opening the only outside door and letting him out in the middle of the night or early morning rather than to have to walk round the side and open the gate.

ah, gotcha.

dare I ask - why not take it for a walk instead? (much cheaper for you and much, much better for your dog...)

Mac
MacadamB53

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:08 pm

I like the idea of opening the only outside door and letting him out in the middle of the night or early morning rather than to have to walk round the side and open the gate.

ah, gotcha.

dare I ask - why not take it for a walk instead? (much cheaper for you and much, much better for your dog...)

Mac

I take him for 3 walks a day, and plays with dogs in the park.
cassiopeia

Postby cassiopeia » Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 pm

cassiopeia

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 pm

cassiopeia wrote:

ah, gotcha.

Mac

I take him for 3 walks a day, and plays with dogs in the park.
please don't think I was implying that you never walk your dog.
I was suggesting you take it for another walk instead of fencing off your garden.

Kind regards, Mac
Last edited by MacadamB53 on Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacadamB53

Postby arsie » Tue May 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Not really on topic but will your dog be alone at home at all? A dog owner since I retired I know they as pack animals like company. You as master - and provider of food - are top dog and may go away but they worry if you are away too long and can show their anxiety in behaviour.

We have neighbours, both go out to work five days a week, dog flap so they can come and go all day but barking and commotion from there all day long. Four dogs - truly, a dogs life for them.

edit
Ours are small/medium sized dogs -and they are trained to go through the night without needing a wee. The girl especially can hold herself for a long time; boys are different and need to keep a reserve for marking. So having to 'let the dog out' in the wee hours (do you like that?!) should not be necessary. A walk first thing for a wee and late night last thing should do it.
arsie

Postby cassiopeia » Wed May 20, 2015 8:49 am

I have to admit, fences are more useful whilst the dog is a pup where you need to give them hourly visits out for their toilet training. Unlike his previous owners I'm in nearly all the time working from home. I used to look after a pair of adult Labradors during the day in this house without a fence. Most people find it's convenient especially if the dog has the runs, or you are taken ill, or it needs to go out whilst your preoccupied. As I say most charities make a secure fence a pre-condition nowadays.
cassiopeia

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences