How high?

How high?

Postby jonahinoz » Sun May 24, 2015 8:50 am

Hi,

We moved into an ex-LA house in middle of last year. Most houses in the street are also in private ownership, but the house next door to us is still LA. A neighbour told me that the LA use it to house "problem families" Hmmm, does that mean that when the tenant vacates this house, a problem family jumps the queue?

Whatever, we have no problem with the couple next door (and better the Devil you know) so have no wish to go all "legal" ... but their kids ... :cry: Or should I say THE kids. They have a lovely little girl, I'd guess about three years old. But every evening and at weekends the garden seems to fill with hyper active boys, and their footballs, Still no problem, while the balls stay in their own garden. Yesteday I watched a football bounce off their upstairs window, and a few minutes later watched it fly, diagonally over their 8ft high shed, over my 10ft high shed, and into the back lane. Impressive kicking by an infant.

The fence between our gardens is 6ft high, which does not prevent a couple of balls coming into our garden on most days. Our garden still looks like a building site, but we have flowers in pots, and garden ornaments, being damaged. Almighty bang a few days ago as the ball hit our brand new conservatory. But my main concern is that if a ball him my wife, while it might not knock her over, she is unsteady on her feet so would be likely to lose her balance. If she falls over, she would be unable to get up again.

I approached the mother, explained the position. She replied that kids have to play. I agree, and do my best to live with it. But when I said that we should not have to be afraid to go into our garden, she went all weepy, so I tried (i think successfully) to cool the situation. Yesterday another ball appeared in our garden. What is the "neighbourly" solution?

I assume I can discount erecting a "tennis net" over our, or their, garden.

The fence is already 6ft high. It was erected by the council, although the Right-to-Buy covenant states that that boundary is my responsibility. I am prepared to erect a better quality fence, at my own expense, (not this week). But the existing fence is not high enough, and I would need PP to erect a higher fence.

Can anyone suggest a "neighbour friendly" solution, that would be legal? I have visions of fixing extension poles to the existing fence posts (it ain't my fence, or is it?) and stringing nets/mesh between them. Would the poles require PP if they were in sockets, and could be lifted out in minutes? I reckon another 4ft above the fence would not be difficult. Not exactly pretty, but the kids should evenually reach an age where they can understand that they have to keep the ball in their own garden.

Or perhaps we could plant tall thin trees (is there any such animal?) in tubs, along that boundary, to catch their balls? It's my North boundary, so it's not MY sunlight that will be obstructed.

If I had a sensible dog, he would puncture the balls as soon as they landed in his garden. I wonder if adriotly located spikes or barbed wire would have the desired effect. :twisted:

I doubt that I am alone with this problem, and moral dilema. What have other people done, or can suggest?

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: How high?

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:35 am

Hi John W,

I would go with something like the 'tennis net' solution - agreed with the neighbour first.

install a washing line from a 12ft post at the end of the garden to 12ft up the house.
hang a net over it - weighted with eg 1" dowel taped to the bottom.
voila!

anyone dob you to the LA you demonstrate the temporary nature of the construction - take it down if pushed.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Sun May 24, 2015 1:41 pm

install a washing line from a 12ft post at the end of the garden to 12ft up the house.
hang a net over it - weighted with eg 1" dowel taped to the bottom.
voila!

Hi Mac,

Good thinking! Complies with my policy of making bodges look like they were what you intended. (Like covering rust on car with go-faster tape. 8) )

So, what are the planning rules about sinking plastic RWG down pipes into the ground, to act as sockets for vertically mounted scaffold poles (aka clothes line supports, TV aerials, or WHY)?

I think the neighbours will be in favour.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby appledore » Sun May 24, 2015 6:53 pm

How are they getting their balls back? Are you throwing them back or are they coming into your garden to get them?
If they are coming into your garden I'd tell them to stop and say you'll throw the balls back next time you're in the garden. Then take your time. If they have to wait a couple of days for their balls they may learn to keep them in their garden.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby stufe35 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:06 pm

And return them saying your extremely sorry but it landed in your rose bush and got punctured.

(A bradawl is very effective)
stufe35

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi John W,

can't imagine the LPA will be concerned - just dismantle if necessary.

what do you think about attaching some of these at the top of your side of the fence - clip in the dowel and the balls will have a safe and speedy journey home without you needing to lift a finger:

www.kasonind.com/files/9912/4992/4519/7105-4-Clip.png

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby span » Sun May 24, 2015 8:22 pm

stufe35 wrote:And return them saying your extremely sorry but it landed in your rose bush and got punctured.

(A bradawl is very effective)

A child's ball? That's mean. That's spiteful and small-minded.
span

Postby stufe35 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:02 pm

You are right span. (I really am a live and let live sort of person and have 2 young children and I am not nasty...I've just learned to stand up for myself (with a mixture of cunning and practical solutions)due to the nfh I have)....I only really meant it as a possible solution if the problem is persistent.....and I have the distinct impression from the description that these are not the kicks of small children.

Perhaps it is the people in the house that are small minded...allowing football to be played in an area that would appear to be too small....to the detriment of their neighbours.

My kids play football at our house because we are very lucky and have enough room...but when we are round at grandmas we play swing ball. ....that to me is reasonable behaviour.
stufe35

Postby jonahinoz » Thu May 28, 2015 7:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for replies/suggestions.

I have discussed erecting a net on posts with the man of the house (not sure of their marital status) He is in favour. Now just a matter of deciding how to go about it ... scaffold poles sunk into sockets, scaffold poles on spikes sunk into ground, 3"x2" timbers screwed to existing posts, etc, all complicated by plans to lay a garage slab as close to that boundary as possible.

A small leather football coming over a fence seems fairly innocous. My wife in noe approaching her mid-70s. She has had very limited use of one arm since birth. She has now been told she needs two new knees. She is unsteady on her feet. If she is hit by a ball, while it will not knock her over, it will probably cause her to lose her balance. She will be unable to get up unaided. I no longer have the strength to lift her. Why should she be scared to go into her garden? Er ... I'm in trouble if she reads this.

I'm not yet ready to sink to puncturing a childs ball. Keeping it would solve nothing ... they have several balls

There was an article in Saturdays paper, about the police fining parents of kids who play with balls in the street. Fines of £100, even ASBOs were mentioned. I regard that as overkill. But I could be persuaded to change my mind.

If my dog causes any damage or injury, I am responsible. (I believe my house insurance will cover any claims that arise from what my dog does. ???) If the same laws applied to children, it might concentrate a few minds. How many tennants have Public Liability insurance?

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences