Front garden fence height

Front garden fence height

Postby rockfords » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 am

Hi all

My neighbour has erected a fence in the front garden against my wishes and I need some advice

It is a semi detached house and he has erected a fence on either side of his boundary one of which is joint with mine

Previously there was a 1 foot wire fence which you could not see as it was hidden by shrubs. He has removed all of the shrubs on his side and put up the fence.

The houses are on a main road and have a grass verge and pavement between the house and the road.

On my side the fence starts at 1.9 metres at the point it meets the boundary sandstone wall which is adjacent to the highway. It then rises to 2.2 metres at the point it meets the house.

The highest point of the fence meets the house and is approx 2 feet from a bay windows which is why I objected to the fence being erected. He changed the design from a solid fence to adding trellis

As a 'compromise ' the fence is approx 4 foot 6 solid with approx 18 inch trellis with the kicker board and uneven ground taken in it over 6 foot 7 in total. I say 'compromise' as I said I thought it was still too high and he put it up anyway

The fence goes to the side of a drain pipe but then over an open drain so access to this would prove difficult should a problem arise.

On the other boundary the fence is solid and has been added to an existing sandstone wall . Not sure of the total height but it's approx the same height as my side.

There are no other fences in the road with fences this high and and I would be grateful for any advice on the issue raised above

I have some pics if you need to see them

Thanks
rockfords

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Front garden fence height

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am

Hi rockfords,

My neighbour has erected a fence in the front garden against my wishes and I need some advice.

so, it's his fence on his land - what's the problem and what has it got to do with you?

if it is the height being over 2m then you need to inform the Local Planning Authority because it is a breach of planning law to erect a fence without first obtaining planning permission if the fence is more than 2m in height (fences of 2m or less having already been granted planning permission by the GPDO).

but you mention the ground being uneven, so if it is 2m or less at the highest ground level then it is not a breach:

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby rockfords » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for the response. I know he can put up the fence. The issue was more being over 2 metres and/or over 1 metre adjacent to the highway. Cheerd
rockfords

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:27 am

Hi rockfords,

The issue was more being over 2 metres and/or over 1 metre adjacent to the highway.

it would seem you already know what you need to know, so not too sure what the forum can tell you.

that said, I seem to recollect that the 'adjacent' element isn't applicable to a fence which runs perpendicular to the highway (don't auote me on that though).

where have you been taking your measurements from will also be important - they must be from the highest point on his side (unless he's also raised the ground level as part of the works).

All the best, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences