Max height of fence

Max height of fence

Postby Bosun » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I have a busy road outside beyond the front of my house and wish to put up a fence to reduce road noise.

Beside the road is a 2m grass verge, then on my property, a low 1.5m wall topped with mature rhododendron bushes and two large listed trees. I wish to erect the highest possible solid wooden fence within this wall and well into my property. It will not effect any neighbour and will probably be barely noticeable from the road.

My question is, can it be over the 2m/6ft limit I often read about?

Any advice much appreciated.
Bosun

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Max height of fence

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Bosun,

all development requires planning approval.
erecting a fence is considered development.
if you want a fence taller than 2m you are required to seek approval by submitting a planning application.
if you want 2m and less you can go right ahead because all such development has been granted approval by the relevant part of the Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:38 pm

If the new fence is to be separated from the boundary wall by the bushes it might not be treated as a fence abutting the highway and therefore you could build it up to 2m high without PP.

However there is no clear guidance on how far from the boundary the fence has to be to avoid being subject to the 1m rue, and every LPA has it's own particular rules it likes to follow. Therefore if you build the new fence, say, 1m from the highway boundary with the bushes inbetween some LPAs will limit you to 1m under PD, and others may limit you to 2m.
Collaborate

Postby Bosun » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Many thanks.

Two posts and I guess that answers my question. 2m max without planning permission - I doubt I would be allowed to exceed this.
Bosun

Postby mugwump » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:21 am

Don't forget that in a lot of cases the verge (even at 2m wide) is considered to be part of the highway so will mean that you are limited to 1m without PP

From Hants council site (as an example)
What is a highway?

A highway is a way over which the public have a right to pass and repass and may or may not be publicly maintained. Normally the highway consists of carriageway footway and verge but can also be a footpath, bridleway or cycleway.
mugwump

Return to Fences