Unclaimed land 'claimed' by neighbours

Re: Unclaimed land 'claimed' by neighbours

Postby COGGY » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:51 pm

You may be a tenant but this does not mean you have less rights than an owner. You are paying rent to live there, and as such you are entitled to respect. Have you thought of contacting the Estate Agents and informing them that the property for sale is not as described. Surely that should be your first step. Otherwise you will end up with a new neighbour who is under the impression that they own this piece of land.

When the house next door to my father's house was for sale the owner moved to live with family and was not at all concerned that there was a problem in the drains situated in her garden. I wrote to the Estate Agents (so there was proof) informing them of the problem drain, which was affecting several properties, asking for confirmation that they would inform prospective purchasers of this. Obviously no-one would willing buy into a problem so the drain problem was very soon sorted. While the neighbour wishes to sell you are in a much stronger position.

Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby COGGY » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 pm

I forgot to ask, do you pay rent direct to the Landlord, or is the property managed by Agents? If this is the case you need to inform them of the problem.
Coggy
COGGY

Postby arborlad » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

COGGY wrote: Have you thought of contacting the Estate Agents and informing them that the property for sale is not as described. Surely that should be your first step.
Coggy

I'm not sure that's such a good idea, the OP might be taken for vexatious, better I think to facilitate a quick sale.

Otherwise you will end up with a new neighbour who is under the impression that they own this piece of land.

If this house goes through the full sale process without this being noticed, someones due a kick in the butt.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Eliza » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Sounds to me like you need to be "firm" with these neighbours.

Tell them that any land (eg particularly this bit you need for your wheelie bin) that they cant PROVE is theirs isn't theirs and you wont be treating it as theirs.

Can you chain up your wheelie bin by your cellar door - ie so that Mr Greedy no. 2 cant move it?

Is your house old enough that the occupant/s of it will have been accessing your cellar door for over 20 years? (ie gained prescriptive rights to do so).

Have you got a local Council/Community Council/Residents Association that can get onto Mr Greedy no. 1 about their parking being hindered by his attempt at "adverse possession"?
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Previous

Return to Fences