Large pieces of wood have buckled fence

Large pieces of wood have buckled fence

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:54 am

Hi all,

Great site, just joined and would love to get some advice and assistance.

I have noticed that recently my neighbour has placed large pieces of wood against my fence which has now buckled it. We've never really got along and every conversation turns into an argument, so my plan is to write a simple note asking him to remove them without causing more damage.

What are my options if he does not remove them or causes more damage or if the buckling gets worse ?

I don’t want to go through endless letters and arguments, from my point of view it’s his land and his wood, however his actions are damaging my property now.
After we had the fence put up he painted his side and nailed in a few ornaments on the posts. I've never said anything to him about this and don’t mind really as no damage was caused.

Ideally if anyone can recommend a quick and hassle free method it would be much appreciated.

Thanks !
waheed

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Large pieces of wood have buckled fence

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi waheed,

you need to be clear about WHY you're asking him to move the wood.

is it so that repair work can be carried out?

that is the line I would take - moving the wood would be a help - and I'd inform him that if he doesn't get chance then I'll move it myself on the day.

if he does move the wood then I'd send him a 'thank you' card after the repairs are complete, in which I'd politely remind him he's best not eg stacking the wood near the fence because he would likely be found liable if it caused any damage.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:33 pm

To answer your question, you'd have a claim in trespass against him, and you'd be able to claim damages and an injunction to prevent repeat.

However given the relatively minor cost of repair when compared to the cost of litigation (and the fact that your relationship with your neighbour would go nuclear), I'd simply tell him what effect it's having and ask him politely to move them.
Collaborate

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for your replies !

The reason I would like him to remove them is simply so the fence does not get worse - I don't think I would go ahead with repairs at this stage as I think I could push the boards back. But I just need him to move them. The fence is about 5ft tall so I cant just reach over and move them (I don't think I should either).

Regarding the litigation, I totally agree, it would cost a lot more than the fence cost to put up. It would be more a case of setting a precedence that he cannot continue getting away with this kind of stuff. I noticed one of the pieces of wood was not just placed there but its been wedged into the ground and then against the fence which is what has caused it to buckle over the base board.
waheed

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:18 pm

waheed wrote: I noticed one of the pieces of wood was not just placed there but its been wedged into the ground and then against the fence which is what has caused it to buckle over the base board.

This sounds like the wood was placed there to rectify the defects in your fence, how old is the fence?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:25 pm

arborlad wrote:
waheed wrote: I noticed one of the pieces of wood was not just placed there but its been wedged into the ground and then against the fence which is what has caused it to buckle over the base board.

This sounds like the wood was placed there to rectify the defects in your fence, how old is the fence?

The fence is a good 6/7 years old, however it is in very good condition and was not buckled or damaged in anyway until I noticed it bulging out onto our side. When I had a closer look I noticed that it was bulging out only from the section where he has wedged the block of wood against it.
waheed

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi waheed,

[i] I don't think I would go ahead with repairs at this stage as I think I could push the boards back.

it's the bit I've underlined that I would consider as repairs :wink:

is it possible the panel in question was bowing the other way - into his garden - and so he's just tried to remedy this...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:01 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi waheed,

[i] I don't think I would go ahead with repairs at this stage as I think I could push the boards back.

is it possible the panel in question was bowing the other way - into his garden - and so he's just tried to remedy this...

Kind regards, Mac

Hi MacadamB53,

No chance at all, if that was the case I wouldn't mind soo much. Think what's bugging me the most is the fence has been absolutely fine, even over the past few weeks when we had high winds. So for him to go and purposefully do something is just winding me up :)
waheed

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:42 pm

waheed wrote:
MacadamB53 wrote:Hi waheed,

Kind regards, Mac

Hi MacadamB53,

No chance at all, if that was the case I wouldn't mind soo much. Think what's bugging me the most is the fence has been absolutely fine, even over the past few weeks when we had high winds. So for him to go and purposefully do something is just winding me up :)

What type of fence is it?
arborlad

arborlad

Postby despair » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:43 pm

I would simply arrange to lean over and remove or push back all pieces of wood and anything else leant against your property
And keep on doing so till he gets the message

Its your fence
Your property and he must not under any circumstances

Paint or stain it
Attach anything whatever to it
Pile soil etc against it
Lean anything against it

Usually these people are bullies and theres no point talking to them ....just take action
despair

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:54 pm

What type of fence is it?[/quote]

Erm, my knowledge of fences is not very good :)
Something like this:
http://wessexgardenfencing.co.uk/images ... nce-01.jpg

But without the bit on top so individual slates, the full length is about 10 meters.
waheed

Postby waheed » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:55 pm

despair wrote:I would simply arrange to lean over and remove or push back all pieces of wood and anything else leant against your property
And keep on doing so till he gets the message

Its your fence
Your property and he must not under any circumstances

Paint or stain it
Attach anything whatever to it
Pile soil etc against it
Lean anything against it

Usually these people are bullies and theres no point talking to them ....just take action

You must have met my neighbour, he's exactly as you've described ;)
waheed

Postby despair » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:49 pm

You have installed a good solid fence

and yes I have met a neighbour just like yours

push everything back and keep doing so

be prepared for his next antic
actions speak much louder than words

Bullies crave attention ..............ignore him utterly and totally not even a grimace ..............just act
despair

Postby COGGY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Despair wrote

Bullies crave attention ..............ignore him utterly and totally not even a grimace ..............just act

+ 1
COGGY

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 pm

waheed wrote:What type of fence is it?

Erm, my knowledge of fences is not very good :)
Something like this:
http://wessexgardenfencing.co.uk/images ... nce-01.jpg

But without the bit on top so individual slates, the full length is about 10 meters.[/quote]

Was there any contention over ownership of the fence?

A fence owned by you should've looked like this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=feath ... swFJ6rM%3A

The bit on top is called the capping, fixed to a backrail not visible in your picture.
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences