2m rule for fence height and raised flower beds

Re: 2m rule for fence height and raised flower beds

Postby mr sheen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:26 pm

FENCEMUSE wrote:I did not expect them to remove the beds - I expected them to comply with the law and respect the fact that it is a conservation area.

I am therefore seeking clarification of the 2m law and actual definition of ground level and the 2m rule in relation to that law - rather than what is probably the case.

Thank you.

Actual definition...these are argued between barristers every day keeping the courts full.
No one can tell you the law in exact terms...except a Judge after hearing both sides.and even then it can go to appeal etc...so we can only talk in probably, possibly etc
You can argue the ground level is on your side and hence the fence is too high. They may accept your argument or they may argue that it is reasonable to accept the pre-existing height on their side as the natural height. Your surveyor will support you and theirs will support them. Then either one side backs down or a settlement is reached in between the 2 arguments or a Judge decides. In the case of the council, you have already lost since they can just apply for planning and grant it to themselves...hence the question 'what do you want to achieve?' Because it's difficult to see where you think this is going. Why have they erected a fence on your land? Do they claim to own the land on which it is erected...this could become a boundary dispute....all with no beneficial outcome.
mr sheen

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby FENCEMUSE » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Thank you - I found that response much more helpful
FENCEMUSE

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi FENCEMUSE,

Do you still stand by your comments

yes, I do and I understood the setup but thanks for clarifying anyway.

sorry if you don't find my responses helpful.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby FENCEMUSE » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Fair enough
FENCEMUSE

Previous

Return to Fences