Barrier rather than Fences

Barrier rather than Fences

Postby Lilac Frost » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:18 am

I cannot have a wooden fence. I cannot have a brick wall. I cannot have a hedge. I can only think of old car tyres as a barrier that I don't want. The barrier has got to be high enough so a car/van/mobile caravan door cannot open over it.
Have you got any other ideas for what I could have, please? I cannot have anything that looks like a fence or wall.
Lilac Frost

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Barrier rather than Fences

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 am

Hi Lilac Frost,

how about a row of posts spaced a foot apart?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:55 am

Metal railings?
Collaborate

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Lilac Frost wrote:I cannot have a wooden fence. I cannot have a brick wall. I cannot have a hedge. .

Why?...............do you have a thread where your situation is already explained?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Posts and chains between them
despair

Postby Lilac Frost » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I cannot have wrought iron railings but great thinking wooden posts. There is a house near where my mum lives with really sturdy ones. I cannot ask the householder who did them as the house has changed hands a couple of times. So I don't go over the top do you reckon 2 ft or 3ft high, 6in square or a bit bigger? I won't put anything between them though so how far apart? The length of ground is the length of a saloon car.
Now I've got to find someone to do them who knows what they are doing. Just because it says fencer on van it doesn't mean they are.
Does anyone on here remember Nigel the fencer who used to post regularly on here?
So we are agreed wooden posts are not a fence?
Lilac Frost

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Lilac Frost,

I assume you want to avoid putting anything up which could be deemed a fence because your property has a covenant saying as much?

me, I'd ignore it - if it got to the point where I was being taken to court I'd remove my fence...

however, you're not me.

the purpose of a fence is to create a barrier to keep something wanted from escaping or something unwanted for entering.

a row of post spaced far enough apart so that the usual things - people, pets, garden wildlife - can pass between them is unlikely to be viewed as a fence should this go to court (it won't by the way).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Lilac Frost » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks Mac, when I can find a fencer that I'm happy with I will start with just one post at the kerb end both sides of front and leave it a few months and if challenged I will say it's just to define where my garden is and put my house number on them. As it's all open plan I'll say its to help postmen and delivery people find my address. There is no disputing where my garden is as it is blocked paved all the way across and the posts will be away from the edge.
Lilac Frost

Postby despair » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 pm

tell us the county of the UK you are in and a poster is sure to know someone good
despair

Postby zaax » Tue May 03, 2016 6:17 pm

Putting up a fence is one of the easier DIY jobs. Get a post* from B&Q, and some postmix; have spirit level and a can of water on hand on; dig hole; put post in; half fill around the sides of post with post mix; check levels; add water; completely fill with post mix; check levels again; add more water; check levels again; wait 5 mins - job done.

* I use concrete spurs as they don't rot; and it you paint them with milk in a few days they look like they have always been there.
I know nothing about the law.
zaax

Postby Eliza » Wed May 04, 2016 7:29 am

A trellis perhaps. Making the point that it IS a trellis by growing plants up it.

Or just the plants themselves - ie big plants in big heavy pots.

Or huge decorative boulder type stones (eg the type used to keep travellers off land).

Maybe get really ingenious if you know someone of an artistic bent and good with ironwork - a heavy duty decorative "sculpture" panel.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby arborlad » Thu May 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Lilac Frost wrote:I cannot have wrought iron railings but great thinking wooden posts.

If there is a valid reason why you can't have wrought iron railings, it's likely to be just as valid regarding wooden posts, whether they are standalone or have something attached between them, restrictions don't tend to differentiate between materials.

Without knowing more of your situation all you're going to get is (mostly bad) speculation.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences