Driveway gates and possible traffic congestion

Driveway gates and possible traffic congestion

Postby TashaS » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi All,

I want to install driveway gates on my drive, but was concerned about implications. Currently, my drive is open, but I want to build a fence along the front of the property, and have two bricked towers either side of the gates. The gates will be solid wood, approximately 4-5 foot high and 4m wide (similar to these wooden gates with bricked sides https://www.blockpavinganddriveways.co.uk/driveway-gates/). I do not have much space between the road and where my drive begins, and my street can be quite busy (during peak hour). I am concerned that my car will slow the flow of traffic as I get out to unlock the gates, when pulling into my drive. I would like electric gates, as this will speed up the process, but am not sure if my budget will stretch far enough. Are there any restrictions on drive gates (especially regarding the possible traffic problems - only a small amount of the car would overhang the road), or is planning permission required. I expect the gates to look nice, but do not want to annoy the neighbours - should I ask them for permission?

Thanks,
Tasha
TashaS

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Driveway gates and possible traffic congestion

Postby TashaS » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:06 pm

Also, I will be doing some of the work myself. Are there any rules or restrictions that I will need to follow to ensure the gates are fully compliant. I have also emailed the council a few times, but they do not seem to reply, so any help would be amazing.
TashaS

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi,

If you were building a new house, I would expect the planners to require you to be able to drive completely off the road, before exiting your vehicle. In my case, the planners required there to be no gate within 15ft of the front boundary. I was also required to be able to drive on and off my property in forward gear. I was not required to provide a "visibility splay", but some are. There was no requirement to keep the turning area clear at all times, but some are.

I believe the drive in/drive out requirement is waived (or not imposed) if it would be impossible to comply, or you have friends in High Places
I believe that all new fences and walls within two metres of a road are restricted to being one metre high. I assume that applies to replacement fences and walls, and includes gates. This will be so that a car driver can see over the fence or gate. Yes, you can have a higher wall or fence, if you apply for Planning Permission and the Planners say "YES".

Personally (just me) I find getting in and out of a car to open a gate to be a nuisance, particularly if I have to do it again in a few seconds, that I would plan to avoid. Imagine doing it when it's chucking down with rain. If I must have a gate, it will be opened before I get in the car, and closed after I get out. If it needs to be closed after I have departed, then yes, radio control would be considered.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby TashaS » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the insight. I will have to go out with the tape measure, as I am not sure how big the distance between the road and my fence line is (I think it is smaller than 2m, unfortunately). However, I had not considered visibility as I drive out of my drive - I hate not being able to see, so a lower gate/fence will be important. This isn't a new house, just a new drive/fence/gates. I know the gates will be a bit of a pain, but it will provide a bit of peace of mind, as we have little ones running around. I am starting to think automatic gates will be the best option, as it will cause the least disturbance to traffic on the road, and will also mean I won't be out in the rain, cold or dark trying to get them open.

Thanks again,
Tasha
TashaS

Postby COGGY » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi
Have you thought of having iron railings instead of a high fence. They come in many shapes these days and can be very effective. This would keep your children safe whilst not affecting the view as you drive out. Also how long is your drive? Would it be possible to set the gate back a little, so that you can be on your drive before the gates open?
Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby GateMan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:33 pm

What you could do is set the gates into the driveway slightly with additional fencing allowing vehicles to pull off the road and then access via the electric gates. I can't show an example but if you visit the Windlesham Gates website and look on their residential gates gallery you will see a good example of this - it works well if you are on a busy main road and gives time for the gates to be activated.
GateMan

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi,

I don't think them with clip-boards would be happy if the gates open outwards. Inward opening gates can be complicated if the drive slopes up from the pavement ... but not insurmountable.

Me? I resent any gate that requires me to get out of my car to open it. Doubly so if I have to get out again to close it.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences