Help me, Please! I'm going out of my mind!

Help me, Please! I'm going out of my mind!

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:48 am

Hi Gardenlaw friends,
I really, really hope you can help me with a problem that's got me flummoxed.

In the past week or so I've noticed accumulated particles of soil seem to be appearing outside in places they shouldn't be.

For example, I washed my car one afternoon this week, and by the following morning the bonnet and roof had random little piles of soil all over it. I thought it might be because the car is parked beside a hedge, and that it might be falling from the hedge...I know, that's ridiculous, but I was baffled.
But then I noticed these same little piles of soil were all over our patio furniture which is at least fifteen metres from the hedge.
Then today I noticed the same thing on the Velux windows on the pitched roof of my home office. This is way away from the hedge.

I'm going crazy trying to work out how and why this soil is appearing everywhere. A neighbour three doors down is doing some building work, but it seems unlikely that there's soil flying that distance through the atmosphere and landing in my garden, doesn't it? Plus the work's been ongoing for a few months now and I haven't noticed the problem before.

Please help me - I'm going out of my mind. It's very frustrating and mucky, and just seems so weird.
mcac

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Help me, Please! I'm going out of my mind!

Postby despair » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:28 am

Can you upload some photos to a photo sharing site and then post a link on here so we can see them
despair

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am

Hi,
I really hope this link works & the photos show up okay.

As you can see there are quite a lot of these little piles of particles. They're literally all over various flat surfaces in the garden; tables, chairs, capping stones etc.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/mcacus ... sort=3&o=0
mcac

Postby despair » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:29 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lime trees anywhere near ?

lots of overflying Canada Geese

real puzzle that's for sure
despair

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Despair,
Thanks for your reply.

No, no lime trees. No geese. Isn't it just bizarre? And it's really frustrating - not to mention dirty - too.

Do you know if there is any section of the local council that I could contact? Or the environment agency or someone?
I feel like I need to know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mcac

Postby arborlad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:11 pm

What do your neighbours have to say?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Good question - I seldom see any of them. The neighbour closest to me - who I actually know - is on holiday for two weeks as of yesterday unfortunately...and they've taken their car, so I can't check to see if they have the same problem.

I feel like I'm imagining it...until I go outside.

It does seem to be more at one side of the garden than the other, but what's perplexing about that is that the side where the majority of particles are landing is beside wasteland - no loose soil, sand or building works there; just grass.

It's weird.
mcac

Postby COGGY » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi
Does this all happen at one particular time of day or night? Have you seen stuff flying around? Can you look into the garden of the neighbour who is on holiday to see if there are any in his garden, maybe on the path? Coggy
COGGY

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi Coggy,
No, I definitely haven't seen anything flying around. It hasn't been particularly windy lately either, and our garden is sheltered because it's divided in to little 'rooms'; each one separated by a high hedge. That probably wouldn't make a difference anyway - we still have sky overhead like everybody else.

I really don't know if there's a window of time that it appears. We brushed the patio cushions off last night and no soil landed on us whilst we were sitting out there, but then by this morning it had appeared again.

I can see that the rhubarb plants have collected these particles in the 'vallies' of their leaves and there's quite an accumulation over the course of time.

On the photos of the particles on the car it looks quite light-coloured and sandy. On the cushions and table tops it looks like soil.

I don't like it :(
mcac

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 pm

I should probably mention that I do have neighbours that adjoin the rear boundary of our property. They aren't doing any building work though...
mcac

Postby mr sheen » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm

We live close to the coast and get sand all over the cars and house windows; when we lived in the country we got tree sap all over them.
These bits of soil/ sand or whatever...Bit annoying but ' going out of your mind' over this annoyance smacks of over reaction!
mr sheen

Postby Janieb » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:43 pm

It's slug and snail p00. I've got them all over my newly painted wall.

If you go out when it's dark you'll find them all over everything at this time of year.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi Mr. Sheen,
With respect, I think you're probably taking the phrase a little too literally. True - the words are injected with a smidgeon of personality, but I had always thought of the title of a forum post as 'a hook' rather than a whole picture.

Thank you - I understand about sand at the seaside. Tree sap beneath hedges. Cat sh** in my freshly hoed borders...
I came to Gardenlaw in the hope that one of the more-worldly (than myself) forum members - who I respect greatly - might be able to give me an insight in to what the little piles of soil might be and whence they came.

I apologise if my words conjured up an image of me ripping at the hair on my head, pacing the floor and wailing for you.
mcac

Postby mcac » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Janieb,
Thanks for your reply. I had wondered about that but when I'd Googled images it looks very different. This is literally sandy and soil-y particles. There are no slime trails either, and on my car roof (which is black) and on the patio cushions (dark grey) I think I would expect to see them.
Thanks for looking in to help though.
mcac

Postby arborlad » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:27 pm

mcac wrote:Hi Janieb,
Thanks for your reply. I had wondered about that but when I'd Googled images it looks very different. This is literally sandy and soil-y particles. There are no slime trails either, and on my car roof (which is black) and on the patio cushions (dark grey) I think I would expect to see them.
Thanks for looking in to help though.

Does it feel gritty between the fingers, if you were to place some in a glass of water, would some float to the surface?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences