New fence - maintenance responsibilities

New fence - maintenance responsibilities

Postby AdmiralHalsey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:37 am

My neighbour (who we don't have a great relationship with) wishes to erect a six foot fence between our back gardens. There has never been a fence there before, we would prefer it stay as it is but we don't have any right to stop him. He will be paying for it.

My question is this: who will be responsible for its upkeep? What if at some future point our side needs treating (ie creosote or whatever is used nowadays). Will we have any power to make him pay for its upkeep on our side or is he effectively imposing that responsibility on us, and our successors at this property, as a future liability? After all it won't matter to him if it starts to look shabby on our side as he won't be able see it.

Thanks
A H
AdmiralHalsey

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: New fence - maintenance responsibilities

Postby span » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:36 am

Beat him at his own game, and get your own fence up first.

Quick now!
span

Postby span » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 am

But in answer to the question that you actually asked - he will. It's his fence, you can't do anything to it.
span

Postby arborlad » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:49 am

AdmiralHalsey wrote:My neighbour (who we don't have a great relationship with) wishes to erect a six foot fence between our back gardens. There has never been a fence there before,

Thanks
A H

What is there to define the boundary at the moment?............it's nothing unusual for front gardens to be open plan, it's not so usual in back gardens.

Will we have any power to make him pay for its upkeep on our side

You have a misconception of what a boundary feature is, assuming he erects it at the limit of his land, which he should do, it wont be your side of the fence, both sides will belong to the neighbour.

Maintenance of any boundary feature involves an element of trespass to achieve it, this is normally dealt with by permission and goodwill.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby AdmiralHalsey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:06 am

span wrote:Beat him at his own game, and get your own fence up first.
Quick now!

Unfortunately I don't have the money!

arborlad wrote:You have a misconception of what a boundary feature is, assuming he erects it at the limit of his land, which he should do, it wont be your side of the fence, both sides will belong to the neighbour.

No misconception, just wanted to know if there was anything I could do that I wasn't aware of. Seems like there isn't.

Thanks for the replies anyway folks.
AdmiralHalsey

Postby despair » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Why not simply offer to treat your side with whatever form of fence treatment he chooses to provide because it will prolong the life if the fence

The best stuff is either Ronseal shed and fence preserver or its equivalent at Wickes about £20 a can but they go a long way as its thin and very quickly absorbed

both come in a tall oblong format can and are easy to apply with a brush and do not damage plants
Once every 3 years is adequate wheras the fence paint type stuff in buckets wears off after a year and will drip and run through the other side and only coats tye wood not preserve it
despair

Postby AdmiralHalsey » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:19 pm

despair wrote:Why not simply offer to treat your side with whatever form of fence treatment he chooses to provide because it will prolong the life if the fence

The best stuff is either Ronseal shed and fence preserver or its equivalent at Wickes about £20 a can but they go a long way as its thin and very quickly absorbed

both come in a tall oblong format can and are easy to apply with a brush and do not damage plants
Once every 3 years is adequate wheras the fence paint type stuff in buckets wears off after a year and will drip and run through the other side and only coats tye wood not preserve it

Many thanks for that tip. I'll make a note of that. :)
Cheers.
AdmiralHalsey

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences