Party fence wall - plants and shrubs

Party fence wall - plants and shrubs

Postby Quaestio » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi, I am the owner of a private lane that leads to my property. On the left and right of the lane I have two party fence walls (owned by my respective neighbours). One of them has now put ivy at the lane's corner and it reduces visibility when trying to drive out of the lane into the main road. Can he do that?
thanks for your help
Quaestio

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Party fence wall - plants and shrubs

Postby mugwump » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm

If it encroaches onto your land, which it does from the sound of it, then cut it back.

It must have been growing a little while if you only now notice that it is affecting your view
mugwump

Postby Quaestio » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.
He just put it, brand new but quite mature, that's why it sticks out. Is he legally entitled to do it?
Quaestio

Postby despair » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 pm

either he is not thinking about your sightlines or he is spoiling for a fight by causing harassment/nuiscance
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Quaestio wrote:Thanks for the reply.
He just put it, brand new but quite mature, that's why it sticks out. Is he legally entitled to do it?
if it's been planted on his land, yes.

that said, you can lawfully cut it back to the limit of your land (ie your side of the fence).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:33 am

Quaestio wrote: On the left and right of the lane I have two party fence walls (owned by my respective neighbours).

That's a bit contradictory, they're either wholly owned by the respective neighbours (which is best) or they're in shared ownership (which is seldom as good)..............either way, anything growing on or over your land can be removed. Was the planting of the ivy an innocent act or is there a bit of history here?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Quaestio » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:15 am

thanks to everyone for your help, appreciated
Quaestio

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences