fence inside my boundary

fence inside my boundary

Postby spamchops » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if I can put up a fence within my own garden that is higher than the boundary fence? We have 6ft closeboard to keep out our horrible neighbours but they are currently building some sort of potato box treehouse thing right against our fence for their kids. This is a deliberate attempt to bait us, but although I'd quite like to torch it, we thought another, higher fence inside our boundary would give us back our privacy. We have planted leylandii inside our fenceline, but they are only about five feet tall at present. We thought something like posts with that fake greenery stuff stapled between them perhaps?

Thanks
spamchops

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: fence inside my boundary

Postby Collaborate » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Maximum height without planning permission is 2m. If you own the original fence I'm struggling to wonder why you'd want to erect a second one rather than replace the existing one.
Collaborate

Postby despair » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:34 am

Ask your planning enforcement officer to come and look

keep watering and feeding the leylandii they will gro3w 3 ft in a year
despair

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi,

Would a playhouse be affected by the Building Regulations that forbid building within 1 metre of a boundary, unless the materials are substantially fire resistant?

jonahinoz

Postby spamchops » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:39 pm

hello
The existing fence is a nice sturdy closeboard one. We paid for it to be built and it was expensive. It is 6ft tall and it is our boundary fence. The adjacent plot is not actually a garden, but a bit of land and an old barn that originally were part of our plot. The neighbours two doors down bought it even though they are council tenants and it is between their council garden and ours, though they have seemed to joined it all together. Anyway, we don't get on and they try to annoy us, hence building this wooden 'thing' a foot from the fence. It is already visible over the fence and is not finished yet. What we were considering was a higher structure ten or fifteen feet in, that we could use to give us privacy even if people were sat in this monster treehouse thing. I thought tall posts with some sort of screening fabric between them. Just till the leylandii grow. However, the neighbours may chop them down. :-( They chopped one of our other trees down already. This site wont let me post a pic.
spamchops

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi spamchops,

why on earth do you think that because they're council tenants it's odd that they've bought the land?

although it seems you like to think you're the centre of their universe, I imagine they bought the land to enjoy as an extension to their garden - ie somewhere for the kids to play.

given many playhouses stand over six feet tall it's hardly surprising you can see it!!

bemused regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby spamchops » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 am

I find it odd because they live in a rented property. If you rented somewhere it would be a bit of an odd thing to do in my opinion as you do not have the stability of home ownership. I do not like to think I an the centre of anyones universe, I want the right to live in peace without people damaging my property, allowing their animals to enter my garden and stealing things. You only know a small part of this situation and I am only asking for one bit of info - if I can put up another, taller barrier so I can get some privacy in my own space.
I was brought up in council housing myself, so do not take me for someone that has a problem with this.
spamchops

Postby despair » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:53 am

theres nothing to stop you putting up tall bamboo poles with netting between them and growing all manner of climbers up the poles and netting

whether the kids will attack it or not is another matter and given its now Oct nothing much will grow till spring

if you used anything denser than netting its likely they could complain to planning and you could land up in the soup
but its worth a try
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am

Hi spamchops,

You only know a small part of this situation

my opinion was based on the information you chose to present.

put another, taller fence up (2m max) if you wish but - if we're to take it your neighbour is a low-life - don't be surprised if the current fence and leylandii go missing.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby spamchops » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I asked what the law was regarding fences that were not part of the boundary. You do not need any more than this really, especially as you are so keen to side with the other party for some reason. The boundary fence is concreted in and it is unlikely to be stolen as we are having cctv put in next week.
spamchops

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi spamchops,

I haven't "sided" with anyone - but your opinion is based on limited info so that's an understandable mistake to make.

it doesn't matter whether you put the fence on the boundary or ten feet from the boundary - building any fence requires planning permission and (unless it's within the curtilage of a listed building) all fences of 2m or less have been granted planning permission by the latest Permitted Development legislation (1m or less if near a highway used by vehicles).

if you want to build a fence taller than 2m you will need to submit a planning application.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences