Neighbours fence

Neighbours fence

Postby mechtech123 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a mid terraced house, garden fencing situation . when we bought the house we were advised everyone owns the fence to the left, however there was nothing written to prove this , my neighbour to the left has recently replaced the left hand (assumed theirs) fence. Both us and the right hand neighbours have dogs who can at times cause a nuisance barking at each other etc in the garden, their fence is a tall fence but made out of horizontal slats with gaps about a foot in between each . For the sake of both parties we would ultimately like to have a feather board/lay board fence on both sides of the garden . If our neighbour wishes to keep their current fence , of which we would willingly pay to replace for something more suitable, would we be within rights to build a fence of our liking next to this ?? Effectively achieving the same thing only losing a small portion of width to the garden. If we did offer to replace this fence also, would some sort of disclaimer to ownership be required to prevent issues down the lines ??

Thanks in advance
mechtech123

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours fence

Postby despair » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 pm

duplicating fences is not the best solution but there are times when its the only solution
i would suggest you need to discuss the issues with both neighbours to see if any ideas on how to solve the issues
using existing fence
or adding something to it to solve the problem
despair

Postby Morph » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 pm

I would discuss with your neighbour to explore issues, options etc.
Ultimately you could do your own fence on your side if that's the only alternative.
Morph

Postby mugwump » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 pm

To be honest if I had just replaced my fence and the neighbour was asking to replace it because it didn't suit their needs then I would expect said neighbour to not only pay for the new fence but also cover the cost of the fence that I had erected.
mugwump

Postby mechtech123 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 am

Mugwump, it is the neighbour on the other side who has had their fence replaced , on the other side to our adjoining fence , I mentioned that to try and confirm the implied ownership of fences (although not official) the fence that I am questioning is definitely some years old , and I am more than willing to pay for the replacement of both sides fences on my garden, I just don't want my neighbour (although I would obviously ask them first) to think I am stealing ownership of the fence that is classed as theirs. We get on very well with the neighbours , and I am more than happy to pay for replacement of their fence , as ultimately it would benefit us both, however for their own benefit would I need something drawn up legally to suggest although I was funding the fence replacement , it still belonged to them? I really don't want to build a fence next to their current one , but the dogs barking at each other really isn't fair on the rest of the houses in the terrace .

Cheers
mechtech123

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 am

Hi mechtech123,

I really don't want to build a fence next to their current one

don't blame you - should be avoided.

so, all you have to do is remove their fence (with their consent) and then erect your own on your land - this won't become their fence.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Return to Fences