How high can I build a non-boundary fence on my land?

How high can I build a non-boundary fence on my land?

Postby Stumbler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I own a house with a long downward sloping yard. At the top of my yard is a bungalow which has access rights through the top of the yard. The bungalow looks down through my yard to the view beyond, however, to give me some privacy in the lower three-quarters of my yard, I'm thinking of building a fence or wall across the top quarter. This fence would be a good ten yards from the bungalow's boundary and would not impede any of their rights of access, it would, however, impede their view. I'm just wondering how high I can go, after all, it's not a boundary fence and it's on my land. A fence 2m high would remove say three quarters of their view, if I go any higher, they'd lose sight of all land in the valley below. From my perspective, if I made a, say, 2.5m high wall, I could create a grand gated-entrance and I'd get a fabulous south-facing stone wall on which to grow all sorts of wonderful fruits. My win would be their loss...

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the legal issues this may raise.

Kind regards
Stumbler

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: How high can I build a non-boundary fence on my land?

Postby Collaborate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm

You'll need PP for any wall over 2m high, whether it is on the boundary or not.

I'd suggest an evergreen hedge. If it is far enough away from their building the chances are it would have to get far higher than you need before it's actionable under the high hedges procedure. Further, you can plant them on the boundary.
Collaborate

Postby despair » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 pm

build a 2 metre wall or fence and grow a plethora of climbers up and over it
things like Honeysuckle will soon form a mound on top of the wall

or why not build a series of fancy metal arches maybe a blacksmith could make them and they could be 2,5 metres high or even maybe 3 metres without falling foul of planning with an access arch in the centre again a plethora of clematis,honeysuckles ,climbing roses ,ivy etc will romp up and form mounds on the top and block the view
despair

Postby despair » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm

You might be able to buy several wrought iron tall arch top gates and link them together but a friendly blacksmith would still be my best bet

i know one in my area
despair

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 am

Hi,

I THINK that you could build a shed, running down your garden next to the fence, say 6m long, and 2.5m high ... with the height measured from the highest ground level adjacent to the shed. If you garden was very steep, it could be 2.5 high at one end, and 6m high at the other end. If you only wanted to house your collection of vintage garden tools, it would need to be only 150mm deep ... effectively a "cavity" fence. :?

It seems silly that you could build such a contrived structure, under PD rights, but not a conventional fence.

Do the regulations specify how the height of a fence should be measured? Is it 2m from the highest adjacent ground level? Or is it 2m, but following the slope of the ground?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am

Ooops!

Sorry ... commented, posted it into the wrong discussion. :oops:

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Stumbler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:45 am

Many thanks for the thoughts.

I think the climber idea is the easiest and most attractive - for me...!

Kind regards

Stumbler
Stumbler

Postby despair » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Chas Olsen currently have a deal on metal arches that you could use as multiples to create what you need

Morrisons Supermarkets have a huge stock of climbers from honeysuckles through to virginia creeper ,clematis montana and all the georgous clematis hybrids all at £1.76 each

just pot them up in really good compost and bigger pots for now and then plant once your trellises are installed
despair

Postby Janieb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 pm

despair wrote:Chas Olsen currently have a deal on metal arches that you could use as multiples to create what you need

Aldi have an even better one. :mrgreen:
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby Stumbler » Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 am

So, am I right in understanding that although I can only build a solid wall or fence that is 2m high, I am legally allowed to extend that upwards with an, say 2 foot high, open trellis? And, obviously, one day that trellis would support my creepers.

Many thanks, for your thoughts.

Stumbler
Stumbler

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 am

Stumbler wrote:So, am I right in understanding that although I can only build a solid wall or fence that is 2m high, I am legally allowed to extend that upwards with an, say 2 foot high, open trellis? And, obviously, one day that trellis would support my creepers.

Many thanks, for your thoughts.

Stumbler
such a structure would not qualify as "Permitted Development" - because it beyond the 2m height limit for fences and garden walls (and what you've described is a fence and a wall) - so would be a breach of planning law unless planning permission has been given.

your options are:

1. submit a planning application for the development you've described
2. build an alternative which does qualify as "Permitted Development" - eg a shed
3. plant a row of saplings and wait
4. plant a mature hedge
5. build the development you've described anyway and deal with the consequences - eg your council may find out and take action

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Stumbler » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you , i just wanted to get that clarified.
Stumbler

Postby despair » Tue May 02, 2017 2:35 pm

if you use metal arches or those arch shaped trellis panels you wont fall foul of planning and the climbers will romp up

honeysuckles very soon form a dense mound at the top too which will increase the height legally
then all the other climbers especially all the hybrid clematis will pile in and form on top too

my clematis on arched trellis are at least 2.5 metres already this year
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences