Fence Height

Fence Height

Postby Cardiffbloke » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Ok... so a boundary fence cannot be more than 2 m high. Got it... however, is that 2 m high on my side of the boundary or the other.... situation is thus.... the height of my path on my side of the boundary wall is a good 60 cm higher than the public pavement on the other side of the wall. I intend to drill the fence posts into my side of the boundary wall and fit the panels on the outside of the posts so they rest on top of the wall. Should the finished fence be 2m high from the pavement aspect or my path aspect?
H
Cardiffbloke

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Fence Height

Postby despair » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 pm

2metres is from YOUR natural ground level
hence if your land has been raised the 2 metres will have to be from pavement level

if your adjacent to a highway then any fence can only be 1 metre high

stupidly a hedge can be any stupid height you like
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 am

despair wrote:2metres is from YOUR natural ground level
hence if your land has been raised the 2 metres will have to be from pavement level

if your adjacent to a highway then any fence can only be 1 metre high

stupidly a hedge can be any stupid height you like
the 1m limit is for a fence adjacent to a highway used by vehicles.
which means the limit for a fence beside a pavement can be either 1m or 2m depending on whether the pavement is part of a highway used by vehicles - i.e. a pavement running along the side of a road - or is just a pavement on its own.

whichever is the case, however, the "limit" is the limit before you'd have to apply for planning permission.

it is perfectly possible to apply for and gain planning permission for a taller fence.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Cardiffbloke » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 pm

A picture paints a thousand words.... the fence in the pic is now half gone as it was very old. I want to replace it. It looks like it is 2m high from the pavement rather than from the driveway to the house. I guess replacing exactly like it is shown in the pic is the way forward.... agree?
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Cardiffbloke

Postby Collaborate » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

A replacement fence doesn't need a new grant of PP. Go ahead and replace it with one no higher than the existing fence. You couldn't build that from scratch without PP.
Collaborate

Return to Fences