Clarify fence height next to road/pavement ?

Clarify fence height next to road/pavement ?

Postby ElmerFudd » Sun May 28, 2017 11:08 pm

I know there's a restriction or maybe planning permission is required when erecting a fence taller this 1 meter and it's adjacent to a road or pavement but does this rulling apply when a fence is erected between the drivesways of two properties, which are side by side with only a driveway and garden on either side of the fence and only the edge of the fence post, maybe 8cm wide, will actually be facing the pavement and road ?
ElmerFudd

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Clarify fence height next to road/pavement ?

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:14 am

ElmerFudd wrote:I know there's a restriction or maybe planning permission is required when erecting a fence taller this 1 meter and it's adjacent to a road or pavement but does this rulling apply when a fence is erected between the drivesways of two properties, which are side by side with only a driveway and garden on either side of the fence and only the edge of the fence post, maybe 8cm wide, will actually be facing the pavement and road ?
I believe there has been appeal decisions which concluded that the 1m height limit you mention was not meant to cover fences perpendicular to the highway.

that said, you could always reduce the height for the metre-or-so nearest the highway to avoid the matter altogether...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Re: Clarify fence height next to road/pavement ?

Postby despair » Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 am

For the sake of sightlines taper the last panel down to 1 metre
despair

Return to Fences