Replacing old fence broken by Neighbour

Re: Replacing old fence broken by Neighbour

Postby Colobos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

Put the camera down you say? Alas i cannot comply as its also my phone!

Jokes aside, i told her 2+ months ago the fence was going to be replaced and that section needed fixing pls. At this time she had a friend round who is a builder he even came and had a look.

I told her 2/3 weeks ago that the fence fitters are coming to fit a new fence and I need that sorting please.

Inbetween those 2 chats I trimmed her tree back that was over hanging on my land and needed to be hacked back for the new fence, to which she started saying in her back garden "I wish you would leave that tree alone, my husband planted that tree!"

She plays the helpless old lady card at all times, even thoush she is very capable.

During my last chat with on sunday she said her son who also has a stake in her property that he doesnt want the old posts removed so there is no boundary issues, i merely replied I would prefer to remove them as then the new fence will be in the correct place and further mentioned the small brick wall that is directly in line with the old posts also marks the boundary.

She said quite smugly and arrogantly i've lived here for 40 years you can't tell me whats what I know more than you.

She clearly has no intention or interest in ever sorting it out until it falls over.
Colobos

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:20 am

Colobos wrote:My intention is to remove the old concrete posts and replace it with concrete posts/gravel boards and fence panels in exactly the same position

The law presumes you will fence to the fullest extent of your land, if you had carried out your original intention you would have achieved that - no boundary problems, whoever or whatever dissuaded you from doing it correctly was wrong. Cutting panels and 'imaginative thinking' is just waffle to cover up bad advice.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Colobos,

relieved you saw the funny side of my "camera" comment - it was just a bit of fun.

could it be that time has stood still for your neighbour since her husband passed away? maybe the garden was his domain and she subconsciously feels it would be a betrayal of his memory to remove all his clobber?

you could sensitively ask her how she thinks her husband would have approached this situation - and if he'd move the clobber you'll do that for her and to where she thinks best.

a bit of nicey-nicey might get you what you're after rather than getting entrenched in a "dispute"...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

Oh dear where have heard the " i have lived here for 40 yrs " "card from the little old lady who is resistant to change and far more capable than they like to claim backed up by a son who wont challenge his mother
despair

Postby Colobos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 am

Hit the nail on the head MacadamB53, i've tried nicey nicey but to only have it thrown back in my face.

I even potentially saved her conservatory by removing a tree which had been planted far too close by the previous owner of my house which was 2/3 feet from her conservatory and 7 feet from the houses, also a concrete post to replace a brick wall was leaning towards her conservatory as who ever fitted it only set it in the ground by 6 inches.
Colobos

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

Have you asked her son to sort the mess...if he has a financial interest in the place its in his interest to get the mess cleared out
despair

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Colobos wrote:During my last chat with on sunday she said her son who also has a stake in her property that he doesnt want the old posts removed so there is no boundary issues, i merely replied I would prefer to remove them as then the new fence will be in the correct place and further mentioned the small brick wall that is directly in line with the old posts also marks the boundary.

There seems to be a bit more communication between parties than apparent at first.

The son obviously has an interest in the mother's property but that stops on his side of your original concrete posts - or is he contesting that?

If I were tasked with that fence, there are no circumstances that would prevent me from erecting the whole of the fence on the correct line - no posts, irrespective of ownership, no concrete, no panels, no roots or branches, no ladders.........nothing would stop that fence from being at the limit of your land.

A panel would only be cut if essential but never to miss an existing post.

I would also be sure, prior to work commencing, to make the neighbours aware that the opportunity to remove the fence and tidy up that area would disappear once the new fence had been erected.

Did your contractor work to your specific instructions or just take the path of least resistance?
arborlad

arborlad

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Te he

Sure would have liked to see Arborlad deal with this cantankerous old bird and her son
Like to see him deal with my neighbour too

I think both would outsmart Arborlad
despair

Postby arborlad » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:15 pm

despair wrote:Te he

Sure would have liked to see Arborlad deal with this cantankerous old bird and her son
Like to see him deal with my neighbour too

I think both would outsmart Arborlad

When you take an entrenched antagonistic approach to a situation it often fails.

I have been doing this type of work for around half a century, including dealing with large trees that span several properties, never have I been denied access - so I must be doing something right.

Would love to meet your neighbours and get the truth - you're a bit of a stranger to that!!
arborlad

arborlad

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm

when i next need a fence replaced or invading tree dealt with i know exactly who to call
and will stand back and watch the fun

are you any good at removing tree stumps tight up to a fence and on higher land a friend has one that the very difficult neighbour will be jumping up and down about the gaping hole that will result because their land is lower ....friend is reeling at the £400 quotes received so far

you could also offer your services to Colobos since you are so successful in the face of bloody minded intransigence
despair

Postby Colobos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Her son lives 2hrs away so not really contactable, i have given her my number so she give can give it to her son and her reply made me laugh.

Oh I don't know when i'll speak to him next
Colobos

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm

see he is only interested in the house when the old baggage snuffs it
meanwhile having stuck his oar in over not removing the concrete posts when he was there he has done zip to assist

i defy even Arborlads talents to sort out this one
despair

Postby Colobos » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Well regardless this thread is now done with in my opinion.

I'm going to wait till her fence falls over or she sorts it, the part of the garden it will fall on is currently just soil waiting to be patio'd and a summer house built on it, I don't have the time or money to do that this year.

Ty for most of the comments and help, now to take pictures of the other side of my garden where i think the neighbour has built there garage on my land, oh what fun!
Colobos

Postby despair » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Sure hope you have legal insurance cover somewhere for that problem
despair

Postby arborlad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:10 am

Colobos wrote:Well regardless this thread is now done with in my opinion.

i think the neighbour has built there garage on my land, oh what fun!

How are you going to prevent the neighbour, who is the subject of this thread, from using your land?
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences