Neighbour has put stones and fence within my boundary

Neighbour has put stones and fence within my boundary

Postby yakker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:48 pm

We have lived in our home for 24 years now, trouble free and enjoying good relations with our immediate neighbours. Recently a new family moved next door to us and things were ok and, as my wife and i are retired we'd take in their parcels etc if next door was out. However, because we weren't always in when next doors parcels arrived the husband complained to my wife that he now had to go to the main post office to collect said parcel...as if it was our fault! Long story short...we stopped taking any parcels in and the situation deteriorated.
Firstly when i was out mowing a curved strip of grass which lies on our side next to a hedge dividing our properties he ran out saying the top part was in fact his property, his language was choice, he threatened me and he was literally right in my face..I have been mowing that strip for 24years and no previous occupant had complained.
Then he started placing large rocks along the side of the gap between our houses except he placed them right next to our paving where we keep our bins, so we had to move our bins to the front so we could get to them. He complained immediately to the Council saying we had vermin and smells...council came out and found nothing wrong...should also say that he would come onto our property and move said bins.
In mid July the rocks were replaced with a fence butted right onto our side paving and the stones(boulders really) moved to the top of the strip of grass at the front and laid out according to what he say is his part.
We have called the police on 101 several times, however they now say it is a civil matter.
Our other neighbours have also been involved in arguments with this man(separate issues) and we are at our wits end on how to resolve this as he is unable to listen other than shout and threaten.
The annoying thing is we are the only ones who use that side of the house because our rear garden gate is there , his gate being on the other side of his house.
Has anyone on this forum had similar and how did it resolve itself?
yakker

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour has put stones and fence within my boundary

Postby mr sheen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 pm

He has the right, and is in fact usually advised, to fence right up the edge of his boundary, and right up to your paving if he owns the land to that boundary feature, that is his right.

If he does in fact own the piece of land you have mowed previously then he can put stones on there to stop you mowing it.

With issues like this it's best to find out the legal position of all sides and once these are accepted it often settles and moves on with all respecting each other's rights. If he has fenced his own land and placed stones on his own land, then you need to accept that he has a right to do that.
mr sheen

Re: Neighbour has put stones and fence within my boundary

Postby arborlad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:39 pm

yakker wrote:Firstly when i was out mowing a curved strip of grass which lies on our side next to a hedge dividing our properties..............

Is the hedge the boundary feature, who owns it?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Fences