How can i find out which side is my fence?

How can i find out which side is my fence?

Postby Saffypig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:25 pm

I have a Victorian house, and the title deeds / plans etc, which i have got, do not show any t marks showing which side is mine.
Neighbours on both sides, do not know either, and the neighbours to my left as i look out, put a 6 foot fence up before we moved in, so you would assume it was their fence, but apparently, not, and no-one knows. They just took advantage and popped a fence up, which i have no issue with.
The fence to the right is only 3ft and offers us no privacy, so i'd like to actually find out if that is my fence and replace it with a higher one.

Anyone have any ideas, where i can get this info from, as the houses were built so long ago?
TIA
Saffypig

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: How can i find out which side is my fence?

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Saffypig,

the unfortunate truth is that there is no source to which you can turn to answer your question - that is why there are boundary disputes.

that said, if the fence runs up to the house you could work out how it lines up with the internal party wall, speak with the owner on the other side, and agree between you something like - lines up to be on his side = it's his fence, lines up on your side = it's your fence, straddles the wall = it's a shared fence.

take it from there re putting up a taller fence...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Saffypig » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks Mac,

Sounds crazy to me, so the fences in the UK are mostly owner-less :)

So no, we live in a semi and this fence is the fence between the two houses, our attached neighbour is the one who have already put up a high fence between our joint walls.

OK, so i'll just tell them i'm going to put a new fence up, see what the response is!
Thanks again
Saffypig

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Saffypig,

If your 3ft neighbour is not in agreement, there is nothing to stop you erecting another, taller, fence, hard up against the 3ft fence. The disadvantage is that you will lose any entitlement to the ground under the 3ft fence.

First move is to ask your neighbour if he would like to share the cost of a new fence, and regularise it's ownership ... but personally, I don't like sharing anything.

Your neighbour may also desire some privacy, but if he has a narrow garden, he may not want the increased shaded area.

If you say you are going to erect a higher fence, even if he doesn't chip in ... what has he got to lose by not chipping in?

John W
jonahinoz

Return to Fences