Neighbours construction work keeps damaging our fence - help

Neighbours construction work keeps damaging our fence - help

Postby AnnieD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi all

We have a common access passageway between us (no 1) and our neighbours (no 3). They had a loft conversion and 3/4 of our new fencing was damaged. We tried to speak to our neighbours about it, and they ignored us and we fell out back in 2014. Basically they use non English speaking cheap labour as their labourers take serious short cuts. Our neighbours are planning demolition of this large storage shed and building a new one twice the size. As a result I can see us having even more damage happening to our fence - is there anything we can do as part of our objections to the planning application to help us in our plight - or does anyone have any other ideas? By the way they also stopped us having access to the common access passageway. Any words of wisdom would be greatly received!! kind regards AnnieD :shock:
AnnieD

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours construction work keeps damaging our fence -

Postby Morph » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi AnnieD
A few questions to clarify the situation. I'm sure you'll get technical feedback.
Was the fence originally damaged in 2014? Did you keep pictures of the damage? It seems at that stage you spoke to them, but was anything put in writing following the talk?
With respect to the new larger shed - is a planning application required or been received, or are you assuming one will be issued? I'm sure someone will advise on the regulations on dimensions of additional buildings/outhouses.
Given the prior damage certainly take pics now or close to when the work is done in case it ends up an issue again.
Does the neighbour need to use access via your property for the building work?
Re the common access, how long and how has the neighbour blocked this access from you?

Thanks
Morph

Re: Neighbours construction work keeps damaging our fence -

Postby AnnieD » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi Morph

Thank you very much for your reply! :D
Was the fence originally damaged in 2014? Yes
Did you keep pictures of the damage? Yes
It seems at that stage you spoke to them, but was anything put in writing following the talk? No - as we thought it would mean legal action, and we want a peaceful life without added stress, but we have spoken to at least 3 family members about it
With respect to the new larger shed - is a planning application required or been received, or are you assuming one will be issued? Yes - we've just had the planning notice from the council and have until 11 Oct to respond
I'm sure someone will advise on the regulations on dimensions of additional buildings/outhouses. They've had to put it as a full application due the size of this monster storage/gym unit with bi-folding doors & loo - wash basin - think afterwards they'll turn it into a granny annex as it's a very large multi-generational family unit
Given the prior damage certainly take pics now or close to when the work is done in case it ends up an issue again. Will try to sneak along there, altho they do have cctv on the passageway now so not sure if I could be done for trespassing, or speak to no 7 and ask them if they'd let me go down their common access passageway
Does the neighbour need to use access via your property for the building work? No - but the common access way between our properties will yet again mean more damage to our fence
Re the common access, how long and how has the neighbour blocked this access from you? They stopped us accessing it in Aug 2016 - think it was because we noticed more damage to our fence when they built a brick wall at the rear of their property. No 3 shouldn't have access either, only no 5 and no 7 should have access based on title deeds, but as no 3 own no 5 and rent it out, and as they've not got their own private access from the front to the rear of the property, as their former garage became an extension, the only route to the back of their property is via this common access passageway. We again sought legal advice, and they advised us to go to court.
AnnieD

Return to Fences