Can I paint fence

Can I paint fence

Postby gardenlaw » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:02 am

My neighbour has just put up a panel fence and painted his side blue. The paint has run down my side and looks terrible. I want to paint it but he says I can't. I am fed up of looking at this mess. Is he right?
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby rudman802 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:47 am

I would check the deeds to your property as the last 3 i have owned all stated the fences where the joint responcibility of joining properties thus jointly owned. At my last property i put in new panels as the old where rotten i did this at my expense (neighbour said he could not afford)to keep my dogs on my property although in law the fence is still owned by both properties. You could be joint owner of the fence so allowing you to paint your side but be carful not to make a mess on his side giving him reason to become a NFH.
Do unto others as they do unto you, But do it a lot better
rudman802

Postby gardenlaw » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Although a fence may joint I would venture to say that it is the responsibility of the owner of an animal to ensure it does not trespass.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:29 pm

That was not my point the point was. The fence may be joint owned by your neighbour and yourself so it is worth looking at your deeds or asking the landlord if you are in rented property.
And yes it is the responsibility of an animals owner to make sure it stays within his/her property but if a fence is rotten then it needs replacing and if it is jointly owned so is the cost. :wink: getting it is sometimes not worth the trouble. :roll:

Postby rudman802 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm

sorry the last posting was by me for some reason i am not being logged on automaticly. Yes i am ticking the box :evil:
Do unto others as they do unto you, But do it a lot better
rudman802

Postby Beech » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:44 pm

Is there any way you can remove the paint runs from your side? Could you use a paint stripper or something to get rid of the blue? It might be fiddly, but you could explain what you're doing to your neighbour and hope they'll be alright about it. You could get him round into your garden to show him what you'd like to do.

You could also plants things in front of it, that would hide the fence in no time at all, and might be cheaper than putting another layer of fence there. If you were to put trellis you'd have to put your own posts too, you couldn't attach it to neighbour's posts without their permission.
Beech

Return to Fences