Fence Height

Fence Height

Postby jo.beames » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:46 pm

I would like to ask if there are any height restrictions for front garden trellis fences?
jo.beames

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Fence Height

Postby Maverick.uk » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:48 pm

jo.beames wrote:I would like to ask if there are any height restrictions for front garden trellis fences?

Jo

This will depend on your location or proximity at the front to the highway. It is normal for this to be required no higher than 1 meter adjacent to it. A telephone call to your local authority will confirm.

Regards

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby Beech » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:25 pm

My LA tells me that a fence at ninety degrees to the pavement should be no higher than 1 metre for up to 5 metres back from the road, but also admits that it is rare for them to need to enforce this ruling.

If the fence is a front boundary and parallel to the pavement it should be no higher than 1 metre to allow for sight lines, for drivers exiting a driveway and also so that users of pavements and the road can see what's happening. I don't think that it matters if it's a solid fence or trellis type.

You can, of course, grow a hedge or shrubs higher than this.
Beech

Return to Fences